Temp Setting

I have a '96 328CI and the temp. display for heat and AC displays in "C" vs. "F". How do I change it to display in "F" (fahrenheit)? Also my manual is very confusing regarding oil requirements. I want to use synthetic and I don't think the manuals choice of 15w-40 sounds right. It also shows 5w-30 but it doesn't protect above 65 degrees "F" and the

15w-40 should not be used below 14 degrees "F".

Dave

Reply to
David

I believe you just need to press the temp button a second time.

Reply to
sgfan3

Your On Board Computer has a button marked m/km, or some variation on that. Select the Temp feature and press this button. The Temp will toggle between C and F.

Reply to
J Strickland

I'm not certain, but I think this button will switch the clock between 12 to

24 hour displays, but can only be used here while setting the TIME. It certainly will switch the consumption displays between MPG and L/100km, and do this on the fly.

Select each of the OBC buttons in order, and then press the m/km button on each setting to see what happens.

Reply to
J Strickland

I do have the computer option on my car but it seems to have no effect on the cabin climate controls. Maybe I did not explain the problem correctly. Its the automatic climate control that displays in "C" vs. "F" and its separate from the on board computer. Some models don't have the computer option so I thought the two devices must be independent of each other but maybe if you have the computer there not..

Dave

Reply to
David

The 15W-40 oil the manual recommends is intended to be Castrol RX Super, or equivalent. These oils are generally rated for both gasoline and diesel use, and as such have more wear additives etc. in them. I've been using the Castrol in my 97 328 since new - now has 120K on it, and I'll never change. This oil is the elixir of the car gods. The car can sit over a week and this oil will not drain down - engine starts with no lifter ticking whatever. At 4000 - 5000 rpm engine has just a soft purr - truly magnificent. You have to listen carefully while cruising at 80 to hear anything.

Use the 15W-40 - you'll like it. It is what the engine internal clearances were set up for. It also stays quite clean in my engine for the full service interval ~ 7500 miles.

Frank

Reply to
Raybender

So, the Life Support System, aka air conditioner, displays the Temp Settings in C?

I'm not sure how to change that. The On Board Computer that displays the External Temp is changed by pressing the m/Km button while the temp is displayed.

Reply to
J Strickland