405 Outside temp display.

Can someone tell me how easy/difficult it is to get to the background lighting bulb on the outside temp display of a '92 405? One side shows
time - that bulb's fine, the other shows temp - that one's duff.
TIA Alan

to be very honest i cant remember how but i do remember it wasnt that hard that i didnt manage it no one else has replied though so i suspect they are in the same boat as me either way just remove it and have a look mate i'm sure you'll do ok :-)
is it located within the main clock assy, if yes, then you need to remove it, and the difficult part is refitting the Speedo cable,
Fitzy

?????
It's in a display panel above the radio on the centre console type-thingy - where all the heater controls are. Nowhere near the speedo....well, ok, it's in the same car, but not very close!!!

LOL Well, you don't have to touch the speedo cable, but that's the good news. To get the display out is NOT easy. The triangular trim at the top of centre console is removed and the torx screw behind taken out. There is another screw behind the switches (the HRW I think). Then gently lever out from the top. It sounds bad, but you should be able to "bend" the centre trim down enough to get behind and remove the tiny screws holding the display in (2). Then you have to split the display in half to get to the bulbs. I did one last week and it took me nearly half an hour. Luckily the plastic is quite forgiving, but be careful. A magnetic screwdriver would help to remove and replace the screws, although I used an ordinary one with grease on the tip to hold the screws!
Sorry people, I didn't know where it was situated, that's why I asked if it was in the main instrument cluster, I have had 2,, 405s and neither had a ambient temp sensor, ? now I know its in the area of the heater controls and time clock, then its a bit fiddly and should not take more than 20 mins to replace the bulb, I recently changed the clock illumination bulb in my 405, I assume its a similar operation, or am I miles away again, ;-) Fitzy

20 mins sounds about right

Site Timeline