Why do other drivers feel inferior to a BMW driver?

Page 3 of 8

I went to look at a 120d today.
It made my Alfa 75 look like a luxury barge.
So, it's back to the A3, then.
SteveH wrote:

Did you drive it?

No. I'm trying to narrow down the options before booking full weekend tests with the lease company.
Sitting in one and playing with stuff for 5 minutes was enough to convince me that I couldn't live with one for the next 3 years / 100k miles.

I have driven 5 wrong wheel drive cars in last 18 years three hire (one was dire, another swapped after a couple of miles as it was too small for the third), a courtesy car with half an engine (3 cylinder Corsa - well it is half isn't it?), and a car my boss owned. In the same period I have owned 6 RWD.
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 00:29:15 +0000, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) wrote:

I may be the only person posting to AAB who ever owned both a Chevette and a Vega GT (or my wife did -- I had Alfa Duettos and a Fiat 124 Spider). And you know what? They weren't that bad, compared to cars of the time. Especially my bro-in-law's Pinto.
-- Larry
much like they were saying:

You know what? Your (Chevy) Chevette was completely different to ours (Vauxhall).
Ours was a piece of crap. Oh, wait, maybe yours wasn't that different after all.

Arghh! the Shoveit
All engine ancilaries on the same side on noddy version - difficult to work on, and only one decent engine.
I prefered the Chrysler equivalent, easier to work on and two fun engines.
SteveH wrote:

Or a used 318i.
Dan
On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:54:34 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote:

Well, price is up to the buyer. But apart from that, the 1-series is 350 lbs. lighter, faster, and better handling than an equivalent 3-series, all of which sound like plusses to me. I don't care about giving up rear seat room.
-- Larry
pltrgyst wrote:

128i (manual) is 3252 lbs.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2008/1/128iCoupe/Features_and_Specs/128iCoupeSpecifications.aspx
328i (manual) is 3340 lbs.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Vehicles/2008/3/328iSedan/Features_and_Specs/328iSedanSpecifications.aspx
3340 - 3252 = 88 lbs, not 350 lbs.
Looks like there's not much reason for the 1 to be "faster and better handling" than the 3.

But for those of us who like open air motoring, the 128i cabrio is 294 lbs. lighter than the 328i "retractable" - a significant difference!
Tom K.

Take it up with Car & Driver, not me.
-- Larry

To be fair, at least the CLC has decent sized rear seats and a proper sized boot. Neither of which the 1-series has. Mostly because the CLC is quite a large car in comparison.
SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Steve, you owe it to yourself to stop living this lie. Come out of the closet. Denial is not cool.

Heh. Yes, I know it's a bit (OK, a lot) 'hairdresser' and it's camper than Butlins, but.... it ticks most of the boxes that I'm looking for - lots of kit, 140bhp-ish diesel and slushomatic box.
As in a proper slushomatic box.
All the alternative diesels with self-shifters are flappy paddle jobs. And the new A4 may not be available with flappy paddle and the 2lt diesel until next year.
Which doesn't leave me with too many options, given that I *need* an automatic diesel on account of my rather mashed up knees.
SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH)) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

See, it was easy. Congratulations.

That's getting even farther away from it. I don't expect to be replacing my 2002 any time soon. --scott

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk says...

model, all I ever see is, 118, 118, 118, 118.
--
Carl Robson
Audio stream: http://www.bouncing-czechs.com:8000/samtest

If I was in the market for a new smaller car a 1 series would be in the running - well it is RWD!!

I wouldn't bother.
Seriously under-specced, unless you splash out the extra 2k for an SE version, with materials and built quality that would make Citroen blush.