transmissions

Hi Guys...I have a 1978 LT type. Auto trans. It's stuck in 2nd gear..Its a floor shift and has a cable going down to the lever.My question "if you decide to respond" am I going to have
to drop the thing or is it some thing that can be taken care of from under the car. thanks alot keith

Keith,
Do you mean the shifter is stuck in 2nd or the transmission itself won't shift to 3rd? If it's the shifter, I would say the cable is probably shot. You can replace the cable by removing the console from the interior and getting to it from under the car. To verify that it's the cause, remove the lever arm from the frame to the transmission and try shifting through all the gears with the ignition turned off and the wheels blocked. You should be able to turn the gear selector on the side of the transmission by hand. If it won't budge then I would say you have a problem possibly warranting removal of the transmission.
Most likely it's the cable.
--
Mr. Floppy

Hey Keith, I had the same problem in my 1974 Camaro, long time ago. I ran over a large tree branch or something, and the trans got stuck in first gear. The cable was locked up, if you yank the console, it should be a relatively easy fix, and not that expensive. If I were you, I would crawl under the car, remove the shifter cable from the transmission lever on the side of the trans, and see if the lever moves freely. If it does, then you should be home free with a new cable. I've very rarely seen the stock auto shifters in those cars go bad. Good luck Jeff