1995 S-10 Tow Capacity

My 2 wheel drive automatic S-10 has a 4.3 liter and I have put a full size frame mounted Reese receiver hitch on it to tow a small boat trailer that I had. I now am considering getting a car trailer to tow my sons 90 Eagle Talon to his races. It would be a full trailer not just for the front wheels as his car is AWD and cannot be towed on two wheels. This would be maybe 5 or 6 times a summer. The total weight of the trailor and car should be around 2800 pounds.

Does anyone know if the S-10 frame and drive train can handle pulling that much weight? Since it is only for a limited number of times a year, I do not want to get a bigger truck. I also do not want to rip up my truck trying to tow more than it can realistically handle. My S-10 has been very good to me, and I need it to last quite a few more years before it gets retired.

Thanks

Greg

Reply to
Lanman

Balance the load, keep the tongue weight correct, and put brakes on the trailer. In town and on grades get it out of over drive. I think unless that Talon is really stripped down your under estimating the weight.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

I towed a 2450 lb. cattle trailer, with two 500 pound calfs in it. It was all I would ever want to hall with it. Follow advice above and buy a Weight Distributing Hitch System. Be carefull and you'll be okay, stopping will be the hardest part.

Silverado I have now tows it extremely well, with 4000 lbs. of cattle.

James

Reply to
jclotto7