2002 Suburban Rail Rust?

Hi, our 02 White Sub was washed a couple days ago (a touchless "laserwash"), and today I noticed hundreds of tiny rust "spots" over much of the truck especially on the lower panels and rear doors. Its even on the fender flares, and moldings, so I know this is not coming from under the paint, but rather something that was sprayed or fell on the truck. Its not noticeable until you are right on top of the paint.

Originally, I had considered that the car wash itself had contaminants in their water system that was sprayed onto the truck during the wash, and we are seeing metal contaminants rusting, or its some other residue that looks like rust. I'm going to check with the Car Wash tomorrow.

But checking Google, this sounds like "rail rust" caused by tiny flakes of iron off an active railway. Sicne I do not live near a railway, I wonder if the truck always had this, and we did not notice it when we bought it in December. I'm surprised I did not notice it at the time, unless the probem became more apparent after the wash.

Has anybody else dealt with this issue and have any suggestions? Again Google suggested an Acid Wash or Clay Bar treatment, though I'm not familiar with those. Does this resolve the issue for good?

thanks Bob

Reply to
pony67

My white PU shows what looks like small rust spots as well. In reality it is small spots of road tar, easily removed.

Reply to
Commentator

I manage a detail shop and it will not take care of it for good, but it will completely get rid of it. I know we pay about $30 for a bar of clay and charge $100-200 to do an entire vehicle. I know that GM will pay for it one time under warranty so check with the nearest GM service shop.

Reply to
gettinitdone

Your vehicle is transported by rail to its destination yard near you city and then transported by truck to the dealer. Most of the railcars are enclosed, but I've always wondered if they were enclosed to prevent vandalism, but not weather and perhaps, railrust. In Houston here, the cars may sit in the destination yard for days before distribution. The yard is next to a rail hub.

Reply to
Brad Taylor