3/4 or 1/2 ton

I have a stupid question, but I have not been able to find the answer . I just got my first truck 02' chevy Silverado k1500 4.8L Z71 is it a 3/4 or a 1/2 ton pick up and what does it mean 1/2 ton or 3/4 is this the carrying load or what? Sorry for the stupid question guys, it's my first truck! And what about did I make a good decision on this Chevy or should I have gone dodge or ford what do you all think, I get different opinions from everybody, that the ford has more power... that dodge has more... that chevy is a little sluggish. what do you all think.

Reply to
kayoss13

the 1500 is a half ton. The "half ton" terminology means nothing anymore.

Reply to
Steve Barker

K means 4x4 and 1500 means 1/2 ton.

You should have gotten a Dodge 2500 w/ Cummins. Best power and fuel economy.

Reply to
GeekBoy

But then he'd be stuck with the worst truck body ever known to man with absolutely no resale value.

Reply to
Steve Barker

In 2001 they started using the Mercedes frames. Added value. And the rest of it seems better than the cheapy looking platisicky chevy body and interior.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Was that the one where they kept blowing transmissions so to fix it the flashed the ECM to lower the engine power output? We had half a dozen of em at work. What junk.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That was the 47RE transmission that is no longer used. The current 48RE would compare to an Allison now.

Reply to
GeekBoy

Better read some more there geeky. NOTHING compares to an allison. Especially something from the dodge boys.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Yeah you are correct..its BETTER than Allison.

Reply to
GeekBoy

HAHAHAHA, Oh that's a good one. You don't really believe that do you?

Reply to
JBDragon

There's a reason the chisler, i mean chrysler company is number three.

Reply to
Steve Barker

and fading

Reply to
Sigwings

If we could get that Cummings Diesel and put it into a GM truck with the Alison Transmission, we'd have something. Toss the rest of that junk Dodge.

Reply to
JBDragon

I hear that.

BTW no "g" in cummins.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Ops.

Reply to
JBDragon

Apparently the Chevy boys have forgotten about GM's whoa's with the 4L line with stuck servos causing problems. the fact is, Ford transmissions are probably the worst on the market and take up a greater share of time in tranny shops than either Dodge or Gm. Chrysler transmissions are more complex, contain more planetary sets, and have more forward gears and I might add, they have a greater torque rating. Chrysler transmissions have always produced 6 X multiplication while Ford and GM's have only produced 4 X. Before you go jumping all over the failures of Dodge transmissions, take a look in your own backyard.. GM has in fact has it's fair share of transmission related failures. They've also been plagued with transfer case issues, heater problems in the dual zone systems, as well as wheel bearing issues, and they have yet to install a fuel pump in a Chevy that can make it past the 65,000 mile mark without dumping some poor bastid on the side of the highway.

I just recently bought an 07 pickup, and it wasn't a Chevy, and for the simple fact that I think Chevy's still got a monopoly on the ugliest truck of the month club. the front bumper corners on the Silverado look like shoulder pads on a Dallas Cowboy linebacker.

If You're happy pushing a bowtie down the road for $10,000.00 more, by all means, Do it and enjoy all that high quality plastic wrapped around You and enjoy the free pair of high heels that came with the truck. Just pray the fuel pump doesn't decide to belly up on You!

Reply to
Roger Rabbid