Backing plates

2000 Silverado 5.3 Z71 140K

The backing plates are rusted badly, one is missing 2/3 of the bottom. I have looked into getting GM replacements but they require removing the axles to replace. I could easily cut the old ones off if there are any aftermarket ones that are made in two pieces.

Does anyone know if any one makes a two piece replacement?

Al Bottoms Up Divers

Reply to
ajtessier

Removing a Axle isn't that hard. It may be a good thing, allowing you to put NEW fluid in the rear end. One piece backing plates are a whole lot better.

Reply to
JBDragon

I change my rear end fluid very easily without taking any rear end components apart. My hat is off to you if removing the axle is no big deal but for me I would rather not have to that. As far as one piece being better I agree, but I have never seen one rust out so soon. If the GM version is rusting out this fast I'd take an aftermarket one that had to be replaced twice as often if it could be done without pulling the axles.

Al

Reply to
ajtessier