02 Tacoma: Noisy rotor backing plates

Truck's got 25k miles, so what I'm about to mention will be under warranty. But, I like to have some knowledge and be a step ahead of the dealership mechanics before I get there.

About two weeks ago, I noticed a thin metallic sound from the front end while going around long right-hand curves, like the circular on ramp to a highway. Couldn't determine if it changed with speed because by the time I got around to the on-lane, the wheels were straightened and the noise was gone. Took the truck to my independent mechanic for oil/filter last week. While on the lift, we spun the wheels and notice the noise coming from a thin metal plate on the inside of the rotor. At a certain wheel angle, the plate rubs the inside of the rotor slightly. Since it's a warranty issue (most likely), the conversation didn't get past "this is the problem - not a life or death thing".

What's the purpose of these plates? And, since they turn as part of the entire wheel assembly, why don't they make noise ALL the time?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

are you talking about the debris guards??? or some other little plate??

Reply to
Kryptoknight

I guess they're debris guards. I saw nothing else making the sound while the truck was up on the lift.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

ok, bend them out some...

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Hmmm. That's what my mechanic suggested, but he preferred to let the dealership dick around with it, since I'm still under warranty. We wondered if perhaps a load of snow had bent the plates. So.....I'll bend them, and save having to blow a morning going back & forth to the dealership. Also saves having to listen to their various sales pitches about how if I don't do a $69.95 grease job on the radio knobs, I could die in a fiery crash. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter