harmonic balancer / torsional damper hell

Allright, I got the new harmonic balancer on, and I test started it with the pulley attached but no belts on and I get very bad vibrations. Any thoughts on what it could be? I'm tearing my hair out.

Reply to
lberry

What was wrong with your old balancer?

These used to be balanced to your engine and if you put a new one on and got vibration, the balancer is causing it.

Reply to
Scott

Turns out even though I have 350 block markings, the last time the engine was rebuilt (before I owned it) it was rebuilt to 400 specs. Therefore, an externally balanced harmonic balancer was required, and I had the internally balanced version. If you have a big ol notch carved out of the rim of your balancer where the timing marking is, it's externally balanced. What a pain.

Reply to
lberry

If you have a 400 crank, you probably need a 400 flexplate and balancer. But its been years so I could be wrong.

Reply to
Scott

You're not wrong. My son and I just got through building a 400 small block. It has to have the correct flex plate with balance weights. Along with the bigger harmonic balancer as the engine is balanced externally.

Garrett Fulton

Reply to
gfulton