Motor Swap

I have an 88 Chev 1500 Ext Cab 2wd with a 5.0L (305ci)...Can I swap in a

5.7L (350ci) without changing the computer or do I have to swap computers as well?

And is it overly difficult to swap out the automatic trans for a manual?

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

Not sure about the computer, but swapping the tranny can get a bit involved.

Best case, you have access to a donor manual tranny truck to get the necessary parts off of. You will need the clutch/brake petal assembly, clutch linkage and anything else. Plus, your steering column has the auto tranny shifter built in to it. You would probably want to take the steering column from the manual tranny truck also.

You will have to cut the floor for the shifter, and the tranny support will be different also.

If you have a manual tranny truck to act as the donor, you can get just about everything you need off of it.

Best of luck on your project.

"Edmonton ChevGuy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@automotive-usenet.com...

Reply to
Mark Schooley

tranny can get a bit

as well...

space my project can take up. But I am still interested in finding

can swap in a 350 on the 305's computer.

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy

"Edmonton ChevGuy" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@automotive-usenet.com...

The computer will run the 350. The injectors on the throttle body might need changing. However if you change the tranny the computer will not work.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

wrote

Well that Helps. Is that Computer specific to that trans or would I be able to put in a different Automatic Trans...say maybe one with overdrive, or would I have to get a Computer from a truck with an OD Trans as well?

Reply to
Edmonton ChevGuy