Rust spots on front bumper, '03 GMC 2500HD

Good Morning,

I noticed some small rust spots starting to form on my bumper after this past winter. I was washing the truck at a spray wash, and noticed some rust colored areas on the top of the bumper, just under where the headlights hang over the top. Now, they're fairly small at this point and easily cleaned with chrome polish, but my take on it is, the chrome must be porous to allow the rust to form in this area. I am concerned since this truck is still under warranty at 20K. What will it look like at 75K? I know there's a TSB for bumper rust that forms inside the air intake holes on the backside of the bumper...this rust is right on the top frontside bumper.

I mentioned it to the dealer yesterday when I had the oil changed, and they said "they all rust behind the bumper, it just migrated up". Now, not since the magic bullet from the Kennedy assassination have I heard of something taking so many turns....

According to that logic, the rust forms on the backside of the bumper, it leaps into the air, travels backwards, then upwards and inch or so, then forwards and lands on the top of the bumper.

My question is, does anyone else notice pinhole rust areas on the bumper? Was it under warranty at the time you noticed? What was the outcome?

Thanks

Tony

Reply to
Tony

GM trucks have corrosion warranties for 72 months or 100,000 miles which ever comes first. So I would stand on their toes until they take care of it. I have a 1999 Z71 and the bumpers aren't rusted, so tell them all of them don't rust. Just the ones that have defective finishes. Go get em. Brian

Reply to
NoSpam

What is directly above the rusty area? I know on my van there are two rust spots on the plastic cover that are being caused by some screws that secure the headlights that are above it, the rust forms on the screws and any moisture causes it to run down onto the area below it. Find the source and clean the area real good and coat it with some rust converter or paint. Your dealer "might" do this for you if you ask them and show them, but the rust warranty probably is useless unless they have changed it. They used to only cover rust perforation. But it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Reply to
Steve W.

I had the same problem on my 89 when it was new. I had it in for warranty work and the service manager fed me the same line. Their body shop was at a different location so I took it straight to the body shop. The manager in the body shop said that the rust was not the rust from the back, but was actually rust comming through the chrome. When he went ot order new front and back bumpers there were no replacements in the country. It took three months to get the new bumpers.

If its comming through the chrome, it is probably a poor plating job. Stay after the dealer or take it for another opinion.

T> Good Morning,

Reply to
ronlin

I hear GM has switch suppliers for the bumpers, so this is hopefully the end of rust issues.

Reply to
Mike Levy