removing rust spots on a 98A4

What experience/advice/wisdom can the cohort share wrt dealing with emerging rust spots on a 98.5 A4Q with 109k miles? One spot is bubbling right above the handle for the trunk lock, and the others are areas where paint is missing. My last Audi was a 1985 4000S that had so few rust spots when I got her at 110+k miles, I never dealt with them, but this one I'd like to nurse along if solutions are reasonable. We live in the rust belt, right by Lakes Ontario and Erie.

Reply to
KLS

If the spots are large enough to sand feather the edges of the paint and coat with a thin layer of epoxy resin. This seems to protect from future problems better than a rust preventing primer. Sand smooth and then cover with a good sandable primer and finish with your color. Be sure to prepare and epoxy both sides of the metal if that is involved too.

Reply to
Tony

I thought Audi had a fantastic rust guarantee/warranty; something like 10 years. The current "Audi Magazine" says that new Audis have a 12 year warranty against rust. I suspect that it was not 12 years in 1998, but if it was 10 years you might be covered.

Bob

Reply to
eBob.com

Bob, thanks so much for posting this! I'll stop by my local friendly dealer and see what they say. Really appreciate it.

Reply to
KLS