'03 Grand Caravan Timing Belt

New to this NG

Just bought a used '03 grand caravan, 3.3L engine. 28Kmiles.

Reading through the manual the other night (I had some spare time on my hands), I saw the recommendation for changing belts and such, including the timing belt on the 2.4 L engine...but I didn't see any such recommendation for the 3.3

Any recommendations out there? Or do these engines have timing chains like the Saturns?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Barry in C'ville-

Formerly a Saturn guy...until somebody decided to see what his GMC truck would look like in my trunk.

Reply to
Barry Schnoor

That engine uses a timing chain

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
Mike Behnke

including the

recommendation

The other posters are correct. The 3.3 uses a chain. I don't know what the life expectancy is for the 3.3's chain. My old Plymouth 273 went

200,000 miles on it's original chain.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
kmatheson

I recently changed the chain on our '96 3.3 at 160,000 miles. It was time, but it wasn't nearly as bad as some I've seen.

Reply to
Steve

Do keep your eye on the serpentine belt ... Regds

Reply to
frank

recommendation

Tensioner

Reply to
maxpower

Presumably you mean for the OP to keep an eye on the tensioner that is part of the front end accessory drive system, of which the serpentine multi-V belt is also a part...??...or do you mean the OP should replace it (the tensioner that is)?

Reply to
Jack Idler

system for seizing up or going out of alignment... I wouldn't recommend replacing it if there was nothing wrong with it

Reply to
maxpower

Well, you have to admit these one word sentences tend to drive folks around in ellipses.....

Reply to
Jack Idler

I mean for him to read his manual and check the belt when the manual sez to check it. I am a friend guys, on my fifth Chrysler minivan since 1988, and I like them. Regds

Reply to
frank