1998 Plymouth Voyager - loss of dashboard display

I've had a 1998 Voyager, about 140k miles, for a little over a year. We occasionally lose all the displays on the dashboard (i.e., speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge, temperature gauge, etc.) and the "service Engine Soon" and "ABS" lights would come on. To begin with this would not happen very often (maybe once a month), and it would last for only a short period (1/2 day - or the next time we started the vehicle). We took it to a service shop, but of course the displays were fine every time so they could not tell us what was wrong. However, now that the situtation has worstened to the point that this occurs two or threes times a week, and may last for upt to two days, we were finally able to have it looked at. The shop said that it was a computer and that it would cost about $600 to replace and that it would still need to be taken to the dealer (for some type of calibration - my wife took it in, so I am not exactly sure what would need to be doen by the dealer). Does this sound like the correct diagnoses? Does the dealer need to be involved when replacing the computer? Is replacing the computer something I can do? Thanks for the help.

Reply to
scroitsch

scroitsch

Hmmm - I can't comment about the loss of display, but I've replaced the computer on my 1990 Voyager. This was the computer in the engine compartment on the passenger side - I know it controls the transmission (also the engine?) and I was replacing it because of the many upgrades between time of manufacture and when I was having a transmission rebuild. It was simply a matter of unhooking the old one and hooking up the new one. About a 5 to 10 minute job.

Dave

Reply to
dave.mcc

I had exactly the same thing on my 98 Voyager. I bought a used cluster and stuck it in and that appears to have solved it.

One thing for sure, it's not the computer. Find another shop.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Reply to
scroitsch via CarKB.com

They are more then likely selling you a BCM Body Control Module, Don't be surprised if the problem is still there. Get it in writing that it will fix the problem!! More then likely the cluster is bad (instrument cluster) My opinion only

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Looks like everyone has a differnt opinion.

One question: When the instruments and lights are messing up like that, do you also happen to get a message "No Bus" in the odometer window?

The problem could be any of the things already mentioned by others: Instrument cluster, TCM, BCM, and some other things. If you get the "No Bus" message, then it could be one of many things, and some troubleshooting would be necessary to pin it down.

(NOTE: I got a $6000 Concorde recently for exactly $1000 because a dealer could not find the cause of a very similar problem - I found the problem and fixed it by replacing the TCM with one for $20 out of a junk yard. *BUT* I had to troubleshoot it down to that - like I said - several things could have caused the exact same symptoms - you can't just go randomly replacing parts based on one person's experience, including mine - mine could have just as easily been due to a bad BCM or cluster - in fact - the dealer replaced the cluster!)

Post back with the answer to my question.

ALSO - I know LH cars (similar electronics) can start having very similar symptoms with the cluster when the battery starts going bad (shorted cell) - so don't rule that out as a possibility (testing may be difficult since apparently your problem is intermittent). But if your battery is old, you may start out by taking a risk and simply replacing the battery. Have it tested first - it may be marginal and show up bad in a test and give you justification and confidence for replacing it whether it is causing the cluster problem or not (and it just might be).

Bill Putney

Oops - mis-typed - should have said "...in fact the dealer replaced the BCM!". But they could have just as easily and randomly replaced the cluster - would have done the same amount of good (i.e., none).

Bill Putney

No. I have not seen that message. I will try testing the battery.

Thanks.

Bill Putney wrote:

Reply to
scroitsch via CarKB.com

Instrument cluster. It's the circuit board, gauges and plastic box that holds them. According to information from my local Chrysler dealer, ones made in those years were prone to faulty solderings.

Removing it isn't hard but to do it yourself you would want to buy or borrow a Haynes manual and both a short and long phillips screwdriver. Requires removing a few dashboard panels. If you find a decent recycle yard the guy who pulls the old one would probably be able to install it in yours. If I can do it, you don't need a pro.

Reply to
Dave Gower

Had a similar problem with my 2001 T&C. Dealer did NOT diagnose the problem. They threw parts at it - replaced the cluster, multi-function switch, and BCM, all of which did not solve the problem. Turned out that there was a bad ground with the small orange cable that comes from the battery cable. Check that first, it can save you a LOT of money if it is truly the problem. You most likely have a ground problem somewhere.

BBA

scroitsch wrote:

Reply to
bba