2002 T/C Fuel Pump Question

I have a 2002 T&C with 26,000 miles on it - so far no problems. What I've noted over the last 2 years is if I don't use the car at all for 3 or more days - when the engine starts I get a whine from the rear of the car for 2 or 3 minutes (standing still, driving) etc. It gradually just dies out and does not come back. If I use the car everyday - then I never hear the whine. Since the noise starts when I'm turning the key before the starter engages I'm assuming its a fuel pump. Is this a common problem or has anyone else encountered it? If so, what was the resolution? I hate taking it in for service when I can't duplicate the noise for the service technicians but I am concerned the fuel pump may just someday seize and leave me stranded.

Reply to
Tom Hubley

When you first turn the key on your fuel pump powers up and pressurizes the system, some noise is normal. If the fuel filter is getting stopped up it may cause the pump to strain which will cause a louder then normal operation of the pump.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Followed by eventual failure of the pump due to the strain! If you haven't done it already, 3 years is way too long to have the same fuel filter. Get it changed. If it's still noisy, then it's just the pump, and it will die when it dies. The filter is less than $50, the pump is way more expensive + cost of tearing the tank off the vehicle.

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
tim bur

I th>

Reply to
Bob

pressurizes

Untill you get a tank of contaminated fuel on some of these vehicles and then what>?

Reply to
maxpower