87 caravan steering problems

My step-daughter has just 'inherited' an 87 caravan, thats been off the road for some time from a recently deceased reletive.

i drove it home and noticed a 'dead spot' in the steering. witht he wheels stright, and the steering wheel lineed up, rotating left happens straight away, rotating right seems to do nothing for 1/4 turn and then it turns.

I've had it up, and down, and can't see anything wrong, causing it, and the wheels are moving together 9one isn't moving before the other). Its almost as if the pinion gear is slipping on the rack over that 1/4 turn. Has anyone experianced this sort of thing before, any ideas what it is, and what would need to be replaced?

Reply to
flobert

Thats what i suspected. it felt like the pinion was missing a tooth. I see the replacement rack is about $75 at Advance, how hard is it to replace?

Reply to
flobert

Glenn, I am trying to find a place that will flush the steering system on my 1990 Spirit. I figure that there is a lot of moisture collected in the system after this much time. I cannot find an independent shop that will do it. I would do it myself, but there is not very much room to disconnect the line from the P/S pump.

Is this something that most if not all dealers can do?

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson