92 acclaim check engine light goes on & off with radio or heater

Hi My wife's 1992 plymouth acclaim's check engine light is coming on whenever the radio or heater is turned on, It goes out when the radio or heater is turned off. Is it time for a new alternator or does the problem lie elswhere?

thanks

Dutchie

Reply to
herbkruiz

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on, leaving it "ON". Do not go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored. For instance, if it flashes:

flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a

55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes stored. Check the codes and report what you find.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I get a 12 a 47 and then 55

does that help at all??

Dutchie

Reply to
dutchie26

Yep.

12: Start of codes 47: Line voltage too low 55: End of codes

Go get your battery and your alternator load-tested, and carefully inspect all three topside connections on your battery cables (positive and negative cable terminal clamps on the battery, and the plastic pull-apart connector about 7" downstream from the battery in the positive cable). You will probably need a new battery; yours probably has a dead cell.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks a lot for the information/advice it is greatly appreciated!

I swapped out the battery with the newer battery from my vehicle ( less than 6 months old). I also cleaned the battery cable terminals. No change. I did notice a few things. With the car idling the alternator/battery gauge sits at 3/4. when I turn on the heater it drops to less than 1/4 and the check gauges light comes on. The next time I do it it stays at 3/4 and no check gauges light. If I keep monkeying around turning on the high beams or the heater it will at some point drop down to less than 1/4 and the check gauges light comes on again. The problem does not seem to be consistent.

Tomorrow I will take the alternator in to be tested. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime?

Thanks again

Dutchie

Reply to
dutchie26

All *three* of them?

Intermittent problems are always fun to diagnose. Remember to *test and diagnose*, not just throw parts at the problem.

Have it tested at an auto electrical house -- a starter/alternator place

-- not at the parts store.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Just to let you guys know. I finally got around to getting the alternator checked and sure enough that was the problem. New alternator and the problem is gone. Thanks for all the input. Very much appreciated

Dutchie

Reply to
dutchie26