93 Sundance failed Emissions

Hi all,

I just bought 93 Sundance with about 150K 2..2 L and it failed test it had high HC and CO output and it passed the Nox portion of test. I have a 51 code O2 sensor stuck on lean . The tailpipe insides are very black (unburned fuel?) hers what i found so far

Car was sitting for about 6 months before I bought it. I went right over to test lane has to pass in Indiana to get plates even. with gas that was in for ???long Failed test went home checked out found a vacumm line broke near PCV valve repaired the tee fitting. Also found what appeared to be the ground wire (the one that attaches to the head) to the O2 sensor broke. I am thinking this may all that is wrong so how do i dtermine if it is working again or do I have to reset something? I read on the other posts that the too lean could just be the 02 sensor doing it job and I have another problem somewhere else I didnt have plugs out yet but nothing looks really old. Car seems to idle smooth and revs up fine at idle but when I drive it it almost sounds like it missing or sputtering under load or acceleration.You don't feel it only hear it indoana one of those states wher if you spend $450 at an "approved shop" they might issue you a waiver i didn't Thanks For any input

Bill

Reply to
tonerdot

unplug your o2 sensor see if that make a difference you stated wire broke tho..other thing it could be is egr valve...

Reply to
Scrapper

The high HC and CO indicate the vehicle is running rich. The code 51 indicates an O2 sensor that reads lean. The computer sees the lean O2 reading and adds fuel to richen up the fuel mixture. Replace the O2 sensor, it's bad.

There is no ground wire on that O2 sensor. That should be a single wire O2 sensor and the wire should run from the sensor to the computer. If the wire is broken why not try and solder it back together and see if the O2 sensors works properly. It may be just as easy, in the long run, to just replace the O2 sensor.

I am thinking this may all that is wrong so how do i dtermine

The easiest way to check it is with a scan tool. If you do not have a scan tool see below.

You can check the O2 sensor for proper operation with a volt meter. The engine will need to be at operating temp. Connect the positive probe from the meter to the O2 sensor wire. DO NOT disconnect the O2 sensor wire, back probe it at the connecter. Connect the positive from from the meter to a good ground, the negative battery post works just fine. On a properly working O2 sensor the voltage will fluctuate from around .2 volts to .9 volts. As long as the voltage is in that range and switching between high and low it is working properly.

Reply to
Mike

It couldn't be the EGR valve, he said it passed the Nox portion of the test.

Reply to
Mike