93 voyager radiator fan and AC clutch

I have a 93 Voyager with 3.3 engine. Within the past couple of weeks the radiator fan has quit turning on, and the air conditioner quit working. They both quit at the same time as far as I know. The AC is still fully charged, and all of the dashboard controls work including the blower, etc. It's just that the clutch never engages.

I got the trouble codes by turning the key, and it gave me code 33, which according to the manual is a short or open condition in the AC compressor clutch relay.

Does this relay control both the AC clutch and the radiator fan? There is only one fan, rather than one for the radiator and one for the AC. So it makes sense in a way that a single fault could disable both the radiator fan and the AC.

Looking at the wiring diagram I also see a "high speed fan switch" and a "low speed fan switch". The fan never turns on, so I'm thinking that the problem is not likely one of these, but I could be wrong of course.

Is there a common failure that occurs with these vehicles? Any advice on where to find the switches and relay for this system? Unfortunately the fine folks at Chrysler decided not to label any of thes switches or relays on the vehicle for some reason. I'm sure they're having a good laugh about it now...

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

\

Start with checking the fusible links just under the washer bottle on the left fender for a blown circuit.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Teck

Reply to
maxpower

Yep. There is a relay for the radiator fan and a relay for the A/C compressor clutch. They are interlinked such that the compressor relay won't close unless the rad fan relay is closed. A single fusible link feeds them both. You've got some diagnosis to do -- and you'll need a factory service manual (not Haynes, not Chilton) to do it.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I also have a 93 Caravan with 3.0. It's a different engine, but the chassis wiring is the same as far as I know, and everything on it works. I can do the classic "switch parts until it works" routine with the other van. If I knew which relays and switches to look at, I could determine whether the fault is in the parts or in the fusible links. The problem is that it's hard to tell which ones are which. Does anybody here know off the top of their head which relays to look at?

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

Check the fusible links as I stated earlier, thats you you want to start.

Reply to
maxpower

Yeah, good idea. I've had trouble with those on another vehicle before. And it makes sense if one of them feeds both systems.

Thanks

maxpower wrote:

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

The ones called out in the factory service manual.

Sorry...zero tolerance for people too goddamned cheap and lazy to buy the number-one necessary tool for DIY car repairs.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I thought that's what Usenet was for.

I don't know about being lazy, but you're right about the cheap part.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

My 95 3.0 they relays are all labeled on the under-side of the power control centers cover. With the exception of two if I remember correctly, they (relays) are also all the same so swapping is what I did to track down that it was a bad Rad Fan relay when mine failed.

Reply to
PC Medic

Hmmm, I have the manuals for my vehicles, but still have a question or two from time to time. I also find it quite easy to share what I know with others seeking assistance. Not everyone has need for a manual if they do not do ALL of their own maintenance and coming to Usenet groups or other forums is often (as in this case) a logical move. Sometimes they will stumble upon courteous and knowledgeable folks willing to help out.

Reply to
PC Medic

I guess you thought wrong.

Then I'll add "willfully stupid" to the list as it applies to you.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I'm just glad I could do my small part to help you feel superior today. Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

wealth of knowledge!! LMAO. when are you going to use that wealth of knowledge of yours on the newer model cars? there arent to many shadows and acclaims out there any more

Reply to
damnnickname

Also, one other caution about fusible links, check the connectors too. I once had a fusible link on my Datsun go, and the link looked perfectly fine (wasn't all bubbly or burned insulation) the problem was that corrosion had got down and ruined the crimp connection from the wire that made up the link, to the plastic end connector on the link.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Interesting, I have a similar problem with my 1996 Sebring convertible. The difference is this: After a few minutes of running, my radiator fan turns on, even when temerature conditions do not call for it, and when it does, the A/C compressor cuts out. The fan continues to run but the clutch will not engage. If I shut the car off and then turn it back on after a few minutes, it occurs again. I also got a code 33 when I did the key dance.

Now, I have ordered a FSM set. But it has not arrived yet. Where is the fan relay for this car? It's not in the relay box under the hood, though all the rest seem to be.

Reply to
Bob

If you don?t have any luck finding the fan relay in the PDC (under bonnet fuse box) then your vehicle will have a solid state relay system......it?s found on the nearside front chassis leg ( easy to find once you know it?s there but a pig when you don?t ! )

Reply to
incar-1

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
Not so on that year vehicle!!

Reply to
maxpower