98 Intrepid won't start

My 98 Intrepid (2.7L) was running fine yesterday, went out today and she won't start. It isn't cold out so that's not the problem. The car turns over but won't fire. I can also hear the fuel pump pressure up when I first turn the key on. I checked the plugs, they looked ok but I replaced them anyway. While I had the coil-packs out I checked a couple of them to see if I had spark. I put a plug in the boot, grounded it to the engine and cranked the motor, looks like I have no spark. Checked another one with the same results. Not sure if this works on newer cars but thought I'd try it. I checked my fuses and relays and they all appear to be fine. Just to be safe I swapped a couple relays from non-critical areas (wiper relay) into more critical areas (atomatic shut-down relay). Still won't start. Any ideas anyone? I am at a loss here.

Reply to
Dave

There's a procedure in the factory service manual for a no-start, no-spark condition. I don't know what it is for your 98 2.7L and it's probably different than for my 95 T&C, but the procedure for the 95 basically isolates between the relay, the crank sensor, the cam sensor, the engine computer, and the coil, any of which failure will give a no-spark. (actually the computer can run the engine off the crank sensor only, just not very well, but I don't know how many years have the logic that can do it)

I'll assume you don't have a FSM, you really should have one to do anything more than an oil change. You can get one for about $30 on Ebay auction

8013508825. In the meantime while waiting for the manual, check your local library for an alldata subscription, many of them have them, and you can get the no-spark test procedure for your car from that.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I had the same problem with a 99 300M. Had it towed and it started fine. Never happened again. Chcek all the bolts from the battery to the body to see if any are burnt. Mine weren't but someone had a similar problem and found a loose nut was the problem. Another possibility is that the security system was screwed up by the key of your other car. My Toyota says to keep all keys with chips away from the ignition when starting the car or car might get confused and refuse to start. I don't think Chyrlser gives the same warning but that is a possibility.

Reply to
Art