Assistance on "check Engine" codes P0725 & P0700

I had some problems on my 98 Ply. Breeze, 63K Miles, 2.0L 4 cyl, auto, this weekend. This is the second time this has happened. Decel coming off the freeway, feels like a misfire, or problem W/trans hanging in higher gear, then downshifting. Check engine light comes on and car goes into limp mode. Turn off the car for a while, check engine still on, but now running fine. Went to Auto Zone and borrowed their code reader (thanks Auto Zone!) and got

1 P0725 - engine speed sensor and 2 P0700 ( forget the exact description) something like transmission controller. I'd like to fix myself but need some assistance. Is there actually an "engine speed sensor" that can be replaced? Where might it be? Anybody else experience this problem? What did you do to fix? Any and all topic related posts greatly appreciated!
Reply to
Ralph Shapiro

You likely have a bad transmission input speed sensor - that would be consistent with the codes and symptoms. A $15-30 part depending on where you get it, and you can replace it yourself (put car up on jackstands, crawl under car - screw old sensor out, new sensor in using a 1" wrench - open end or socket - either may work, one may give better accessibility than the other).

Bill Putney

Reply to
Ralph Shapiro

More then likely as Bill said the input speed sensor. If you are going to replace the input sensor you may as well get the output sensor also. They are right next to each other and easy to get at.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to
Ralph Shapiro

Well, I've replaced both input and output trans. sensors, to no avail. Problem still exists. After searching the internet, I've also cleaned all grounds under the hood. I checked the connector to the cam sensor ( at back of head), and found it full of oil from a blown head gasket, so I cleaned that out. Pulled the connector at the trans, it had trans fluid in it, cleaned that. Took to a shop ( non dealer) for a diagnostic, they said may be crank position sensor or TCM, but could not say for sure which was bad, or even if this would fix. Additional research said P0700 indicates that the TCM has to be queried for more specific codes. Is this true, can the TCM have codes that can be read? So, my additional question, could the TCM be bad? Any service bulletins on TCM problems? Reflash the TCM ? Can codes be read from it that will indicate more info on the problem? Should I have an 'accident' to get rid of this car?

I also had the trans fluid changed in 3/05 at a non dealer. No description of ATF+4 being used on the flush, but additive used. Did I shoot myself in the foot on this? Getting the fluid changed again today.

Reply to
Ralph Shapiro

If they used an additive, there's a 99.9999% chance that they did not use ATF+4. Most likely Dexron plus an additive. Can't say for sure if it's your problem, but it's not good.

Bill Putney

Reply to
philthy

Don't try to diagnose a modern computer controlled car yourself. You may get lucky and find the problem, once in a while, but very rarely. The machine used to diagnose these new cars quickly and effectively costs $40,000 I have a close friend I went to high school with, that has one and is in the repair business. If you saw that machine work and knew how complicated the engines controls really are, you would not even bother trying to fix that car. Your problems with the car can be a multitude of things.

The basic diagnosis procedure should always include fuel pressure/volume, exhaust backpressure, and scan all the sensors. Then the ignition and plugs and timing. Then the computer and proms are checked. If the problem still is not found, then it may be an electrical connection in the harnesses somewhere. Very rarely is it an engine mechanical problem.

Reply to
duty-honor-country

Your story sounded legit until you got to the part about having a close friend, that's when people realized it was total bullshit.

Reply to
bicycle, The Fifth Wheel King

If you're an idiot like Charlie Nudo, you cannot diagnose ECM controlled cars. If you have half a brain and can read a manual, you can.

Reply to
DeserTBoB

Just curious......are you guys married????

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower