Chrysler LHS Sticking Window

I have a 2000 LHS with 48,000 miles. During the recent heat spell, the driver's side window stuck in the fully closed position. I used silicone spray and a plastic putty knife to try to loosen the weatherstrip from the window with no luck. When I press the window switch, I can hear a click which sounds like power is getting to the motor. When it doesn't open, I press the up switch to make sure the motor is not continually trying to open. Has anyone had a similar problem? The same problem occurred a month ago but after a day of cooler weather, the window started working again. I plan on taking the door panel off this weekend to see if I can see if the window is binding or the motor is burned out. I have run a Google search and it seems that this is a known problem with 2000 LHSs. Any recommendations regarding cleaning the weatherstrip and either lubricating the strip with silicone spray or talcum powder?

Thanks in advance, Ron Munroe Falls, Ohio

Reply to
Ron

Window problem is a longstanding problem with second generation LH vehicles. The best fix that I am aware of is a new window regulator, which should be an improved design. Keeping the seals well lubricated is a good idea too. Perhaps Art Begun can chime in, he's had a lot of first hand experience w/ this issue.

Reply to
Greg Houston

Same thing happened to the front passenger window on my 2000 300m.

I took the door panel off (but had the window switch connected, which was awkward) and while pressing the switch in the down position I gave the motor a couple of good slaps. That was enough to free the window and it began operating normally.

I don't think that it's the window seal that is sometimes causing the problem. I think that the motor is capable of applying too much torque to the window mechanism and at the top of it's travel it can physically deform the track and/or the frame and something gets jammed. You can see this happen when watching the door panel while the window is moving up and seating itself in the fully up position.

DON'T mess with pry bars and screw drivers to try to pry the top of the window down. You will break the glass very easily by applying a force into the plane of the glass.

Someone posted here that if you are holding the switch down while someone slams the door closed that might be enough to free the mechanism.

Alternatively if you have a couple of suction cups (with handles) you might be able to "help" the window down while pressing the switch.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Now Greg! David *just* finished explaining to us that we can't make statements like that unless we own every single year (and possibly every single configuration of every year - hey why not - if one maeks sense, then the other does too) of LH vehilce.

Watch out - he's going to beat you with a snake!!

Bill Putney

Ron with the engine running and the door open hold the window switch in the down position and slam the door hard a few times. this will free it up. Keep the top positons of the door glass cleaned really good to prevent this from happening.

Reply to
damnnickname

I hate to give bad news but apparently the problem can not be solved permanently. Every part of every one of my windows in my 99 300M has been replaced multiple times yet they still stick if not exercised regularly. The regulators, motors and weatherstripping have all been replaced once or twice or in some cases 3 times yet right now I have one window in my 300M that squeaks horribly on the way down and another window rattles loosely if in the half open position when the door is slammed closed. For now they are not sticking but that is because I exercise them every time I drive the car.

I figured that is why they went with the tiny windows on the 300C. If you can't make power windows right, at least make them small.

Unfortunately my extended warranty ends in a few months. I am ready to move on but my wife loves the 300M. And frankly I was looking at a new 300, Magnum, and Charger and then back at my 300M and even after having plenty of time to get used to the new designs, the 300M still looks better to me than all but the Charger. Unfortuantely there are no memory seats available in the CHarger and my wife is spoiled by the feature in the 300M.

Reply to
Art

Same here with my '02. I find that the more I use the windows the less likely they get stuck.

Ken

Reply to
NJ Vike

Thanks to everyone who commented. "damnnickname"'s suggestion for holding the button and slamming the door actually worked. The strange thing is that the driver's side door gets exercised every day when I pull into a parking deck. I don't know if that door has tighter molding or what. I cleaned all the tracks with Gojo to get rid of all the grit and am going to apply talcum powder to see if that helps.

Thanks again, Ron Munroe Falls, Ohio

Reply to
Ron

I was told a few years ago that the problem was a circuit breaker in the window motor, when the window gets glued into the weather strip and trying to open it pops the breaker and doesn't allow the motor to pull it from the weather strip. The updated regulator had a different breaker built in. Thats what was told to me by one of the "instructors" at the training center. And like I said by slamming the door with the switch in the down position normally works. then keep the top of the glass cleaned on all 4 doors

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

Keep them clean and they wont have that problem, especially in the hot temp