1996 Chrysler LHS

Hi

I have a 1996 chrysler LHS.....everytime I go through a large puddle of water in road, my check engine light comes on and car stalls.....the car will start turning but takes awhile for it to start....then eventually starts and runs fine, but check engine light remainson. ..... I have had new wire and plugs done this past November. Any help would be great!

dimpnose

Reply to
dimpnose

You need to post the engine computer diagnostic codes that were set when the check engine light came on. You can get these by simply turning the ignition key on-off-on three times in a row. Do not start the vehicle, just move to the on setting each time and leave on at the end. The service engine light will then flash out a series of 2-digit codes ending in "55". This should provide some insight into the cause.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Hi Bob

The last time this happened.....it shot off the code cranking sensor....it was cheap enough to replace, so I did....and thought the problem was taken care of until this morning.....do you think it could be a bad sensor

dimpnose

Reply to
dimpnose

Post the error code. If it shows sensor again, it is likely the connection going to it (connector, wire, etc.)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Hi Bob

One of our technicians where I work put the computer on my car and it showed cam shaft position sensor...well, I have already eliminated it with replacing the cranking shaft position sensor.....this part will cost $44.00 so I think this may be worth a try....if not, i guess it may be the wiring.....thanks for your info!!!!

Reply to
dimpnose

Why would replacing a crank position sensor fix a bad cam position sensor? You do realize these are two completely different things. So you can't turn the ignition key on and off three times and read the flashes? My advice is for you to take the car to the dealer or a competent independent garage for service.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Seems to me this has been done. I read the op's post that he HAD the tech were he works SCAN the car! Stating that cam position sensor! He replaced the crank sensor previously.

But please do as Bob suggest and read the codes with the key trick. It must be more specific then the tech reading it with a scanner.

Reply to
hartless

The key trick provides considerably LESS detail than a proper scan.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

These are the key words (Proper Scan). I was asking for the codes since the OP was clearly confusing cam and crank and claimed that someone scanned, but had no details. My assumption was that getting the engine codes was a no-brainer and could provide CURRENT and ACCURATE info. While it may indeed be less detailed, I felt it was a logical first step. But no codes and only a vague recollection of what the previous code was and what was replaced, so I give up and am done reading this thread.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman