Confused: Intermittent speedometer with limp mode, NOT output sensor!

Hello!

'93 Intrepid ES 3.3L 66K miles.

I just had the tranny rebuilt due to some other problems which turned out to be internal (AUUUGGGGHHH$$$$), but I still have a problem I've had for over six months now. At any speed and any driving conditions, the speedometer will drop to zero and the tranny will drop to second. (If it's not in second already.) The output speed sensor has been replaced and no codes are thrown. (Checked with a code reader, not the ignition trick.) Tech at the xmission shop has no idea what might be causing this, other than it's probably in or after the TCM or PCM.

Does anyone have any info on the signal flow between the speed sensor, TCM, PCM, speedometer, and where in this chain the decision to kick in limp mode is? The intermittent nature of the problem leads me to suspect a bad connection somewhere. Since this one ain't gonna be solved by slapping a code reader in the system, it's probably going to be a trace through the wiring type of fix. I figure if I tackle it, it will cost some time. If someone else tackles it, more $$$$ that I don't have! :(

Here are some other intermittent problems that occur, in the hopes that someone out there might say "Aha! All these circuits have "X" in common."

The low fuel light will occasionally come on, even though the tank is nowhere near empty.

The parking brake/brake warning light may come on for a few seconds, but the parking brake is fully off and the brake system is fine.

The RKE has operated intermittently for the past several years.

Even though the HVAC fan is on the stop below max, sometimes the air flow out the vents drops considerably. Rotating the temp control a couple of times brings the flow back to normal.

Thanks for any info! DSF

Reply to
Audiofile

All these things are hooked up to the BCM (body control module). On my 97 Sebring the inside fuse panel integrated on the outside of the BCM. I'd open it up and check the circuit board for any bad solders etc and clean all connectors.

/Pelle

Reply to
Pelle

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
frerichs

Thanks for the info. I'll check into the wiring as soon as I can.

I would like to get to the BCM and check the connections, etc. It's mounted in the dash on the metal plate under the air duct to the passenger door. I can't figure out any way to get to it short of removing the entire underside of the dash. I can see it and I can grab it from under the dash. It has quite a bit of wiggle to it. (I'ts not tightly mounted.) Is that normal? Does it maybe (fingers crossed) snap out? I'd really hate to pull the whole lower half of the dash only to find out there is an easier way to do it!

BTW, I assume it's the BCM i'm looking at. My service manual has it on the same side of the car, but lower. It has three multi-pin connectors on one end; one of which is not used.

Thanks, DSF

Reply to
Audiofile

{My stuff snipped.}

That is a good idea, but my interior fuses are on the edge of the dash where it meets the driver side door. (The fuse cover is part of the cover for the duct that feeds air to the door vent.) My BCM is in the same place on the passenger side.

Here's part of the response/questions I gave to mic canic. Anyone know the answers?