Distinct miss while going down the road

I have a 97 Chrysler Town and Country with a 3.8 engine. While driving down the by-pass at approx 55 mph. the van makes a distinct Miss(lurch-dead area)for a micro second--just enough to notice it-(the tachometer dropped just like the engine was turned off) just for a split second- The "check engine light" doesnt come on during this time-but I have been having problems with the light-goes on for a day or so then off by itself.

The "miss" only happens a couple of times a day-and keeps on running like it didnt happen....so any help finding the problem would be appreciated! I suspect maybe an electrical problem but dont know where to start!

Blaine

Reply to
Blaine

Perhaps you don't realize this but the computer stores trouble codes from when the light goes on. You can buy an OBD-II code scanner at any auto parts place and read the codes. Without it, your troubleshooting blind.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

troubleshooting

Well, those aren't what I would call biggies but I think that the estimation of half the troubles not being monitored by the computer is wrong, I think it's more like 70% of the potential problems in a vehicle aren't monitored because they can't be monitored. That doesen't mean that a code for something won't be set, though. Pull a vacuum line for example to simulate a cracked vacuum line and either you won't get a code set, or you will get one set that points to some general problem. It certainly won't tell you that such-and-such a vacuum line is cracked. Mechanics still have to have some brains left to figure out problems.

Well the thing is though that the original poster had said that he was having problems with his trouble light turning on then off. When the check engine light turns on, a code is going to be set in the computer. So I'm pretty sure that there's some trouble codes in there.

Granted, you can have a vehicle fault that does not set a code. But unless you code scan it, you don't know if you have a code or not. Since code scanning only takes a few minutes of effort, it's smart to check and see if there are any there as part of your normal troubleshooting routine.

Today I just saw Harbor Freight selling OBD-II code scanners for $39.99. Now, obviously these aren't the greatest scanners in the world, but I also really cannot accept the excuse anymore that code scanners are too expensive for the DIYer to buy. My only question is why aren't the automakers putting the digital readout in the car nowadays.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

instead of a 'code' just say the car is sick.. "My tires are dead.." "I need oil" That would dip into artificial intellegence and that is being squished by dealers!!!!!

Reply to
Ric

Thanks for your responses gentlemen!! Today I took the van to a friend that has a new Mac Tools scan tool--WOW! that told me everything--right down to the atmospheric pressure outside the car!!

As suspected-the trouble code #32 showed up==indicating an EGR system failure-so we tested the soleniod and it appeared to be working--so I guess the egr valve is the next check. But I kinda of half believe that there is some connector-because the friend reset the "check engine light" and about 18 starts later it came back on driving down the road in a rainstorm! Guess Im going to be a busy person unpluging the plugs and inspecting them!! Thanks for your help-Ill keep you posted! Blaine

Reply to
Blaine

I don't think the "soleniods" fail that much on those valves. I think most of them fail from holes in the diaphram. If you take the valve apart you can see what a stupid design it is. Chrysler should sell replacement diaphrams instead of the whole damn valve.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt