DRL on the 300C AWD HEMI

So I've been reading the boards (always dangerous) and found that the dealer can give me daytime running lights on my 2006 300C AWD Hemi by using some software. I'm considering having it done but am curious as to whether this will shorten the life of the headlights. Anyone know? Thanks sharkman

Reply to
sharkman

One report that I saw about how to obtain DRL's indicated that the high beams were used and not the HID's--and the high beam lamps were set to a lower voltage so that they were not as bright. Also, I have read conflicting reports as to whether retrofitting DRL's was something that a dealer would even attempt even though they are required by law in Canada where the 300C's are manufactured.

MikeSp

-------------------------------------

Reply to
MikeSp

news:PbSdnb_fQqzdDO3enZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Yes, the bulb life is used up faster, assuming they use lowered voltage to the high beams. It also increases daytime glare to oncoming drivers. This setup is not permitted outside of North America.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

Yes, it will shorten the life and reduce the performance of your high-beam headlamps. It will also -- because of the way the DRLs are implemented on this car -- not improve your safety. They are reduced-intensity high-beam headlamps, which have a very narrow horizontal angle of visibility. All the studies showing any kind of safety benefit to DRLs show that this benefit overwhelmingly occurs at large horizontal angles (e.g. intersections), not in straight-on-view situations. In addition, the DRLs are located too close to the front turn signals, so when you signal, the DRL on that side of the car turns off. This creates distraction-related safety problems of its own.

If for some reason you feel you must have DRLs, there are better ways of implementing them on that car. The factory way is cheap and compliant with Canadian regulations, but that's about all that recommends them.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Reply to
jdoe

Reply to
philthy

Thanks, Daniel, for the comprehensive reply.. I believe I won't bother with the mod..

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

Reply to
sharkman

Reply to