chip for 2005 300C Hemi?

A friend of mine was just given (yes, GIVEN) a new 300C Hemi. I haven't paid much attention to Chrysler since I sold my 300M, but he's asked me if anyone produces a "chip" for the '05 hemi.

If anyone has a lead on non-vaporware companies with performance-tuned chips for this car/engine, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Personally, for normally aspirated engines, I always thought that chips were rather useless, but my buddy insists that he wants to do this.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

Yeah, because the 300C Hemi is *so* lacking in performance from the factory.

Your buddy is an idiot in need of a clue.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Thanks for the completely unhelpful response. A simple "no" would have sufficed.

Ritz

What do you mean by normally aspirated? The term usually applies to a carburated engine, nobody makes a carburated engine anymore except for lawn mowers.

Reply to
General Schvantzkoph

Actually, no. The term applies to engines that don't use forced induction (turbo or supercharging).

Wow, 2 completely non-helpful responses. I'm on a roll.

Cheers,

Ritz

| >>A friend of mine was just given (yes, GIVEN) a new 300C Hemi. I haven't | >>paid much attention to Chrysler since I sold my 300M, but he's asked me | >>if anyone produces a "chip" for the '05 hemi. | >>

| >>If anyone has a lead on non-vaporware companies with performance-tuned | >>chips for this car/engine, I'd appreciate hearing from you. | >>

| >>Personally, for normally aspirated engines, I always thought that chips | >>were rather useless, but my buddy insists that he wants to do this. | >

| > What do you mean by normally aspirated? The term usually applies to a | > carburated engine, nobody makes a carburated engine anymore except for | > lawn mowers. | | Actually, no. The term applies to engines that don't use forced | induction (turbo or supercharging). | | Wow, 2 completely non-helpful responses. I'm on a roll. | | Cheers, | | C

My recommendation is to leave the car as it is. It's performance is top notch already and why mess with voiding the manufacturers warranty by doing unnecessary modifications?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

That's my advice too, but it's not my car. So I agreed to help my friend by asking some questions online. I drove it a couple of days ago for the first time and thought it was *plenty* fast.

Cheers,

Ritz

I prefer my "no"s to be fancy.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

No, "Normally aspirated" is a term that does not refer in any way to the fuel delivery system. It simply means there is no forced induction device (supercharger or turbocharger).

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The most helpful thing you can do for your friend is to pass along -- verbatim -- the responses you're (he's) getting.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I would recommend that instead of trying to add power to the engine, he concentrates on reducing weight. Replace the tires with flat resistent ones and dump the spare tire. If he is the only one in the car, remove a few bolts and take out the extra seats. The door panels could also be removed and thereby exposing the window motors which are quite heavy. Glue the windows in place (that was standard feature on earyl 300M's) and remove the window motors and regulators. If he is really serious, the ac and radio has got to go.

Reply to
Art

These guys make one for the Hemi Ram, it's just a matter of time before they show up for the 300c.

These cars do have great power, but more is always better. By the way you're better off googling than asking about power chips on Usenet as you can see by the helpful advice you've gotten so far.

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Reply to
mic canic

Thanks for your opinions as well.

Nobody that has bought them has reported measurable increases in power for street-legal vehicles.

Every time that someone has posted about chips claiming that they really sped up their vehicle, there has been a lot of attention, as you may well imagine. Everyone after all wants to believe that there's a magic bullet that only costs a few hundred bucks that will make a Yugo smoke it's tires. During the subsequent Q&A with the original poster it is discovered that the poster is either lying, (because they cannot answer specific questions from others who have the same vehicle, or they won't say where they got it tested), or the poster is relying on seat-of-the-pants and hasn't measured it on a dyno, or the poster is a racer and has chipped the vehicle with a chip that makes the vehicle illegal to drive it on the street. (usually right after that the OP claims to not live in an area that does emissions testing)

So, yes, I'll give you this much: if you live in the boondocks and don't care if your emissions aren't legal, and are willing to risk sooting up your catcon with a rich mixture, then sure, go ahead and put an off-road chip in the vehicle. You will get a performance improvement - because one of the fundamental tradeoffs in internal combustion engine design is that a normally aspirated engine produces more power if run rich. ie: the ideal fuel/air mix for maximum power is richer than the ideal fuel/air mix for minimum emissions. Unfortunately, this mix is not friendly to catcons.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt