Enable Caravan Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) Option

Hi,

I have '00 & '05 US model Grand Caravans. The '00 is US built while the '05 is Canadian buit. I would like to enable the facory DRL's using off-the-shelf Chrysler parts - if possible. As a last resort, I would consider an aftermarket retrofit kit although I would be concerned about any negative interaction with the vehicles BCM's.

Has anyone been sucessful with this?

Thanks!

Reply to
ls_dot1

The '00 uses turn signal DRLs; you can either get the Canada-spec turn signal flasher module from your dealer or you can use the module from

. The '05 uses high-beam DRLs which are less effective (much narrower angle of visibility); you'd do better simply to buy the webelectricproducts.com module and install it on the '05 -- take you about 30 minutes or so if you're not a klutz.

In both cases, stop by your local GM dealer and pick up four front park/turn/DRL bulbs for an '04 Saturn Ion. These are type number 5702KA, an ultralong-life design, and will solve the early/rapid burnout problem you'd have if you left the stock 3157/4157 bulbs with DRLs enabled.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Do you know if an 2003 uses the turn signal or high beam for the drl ?

thanks

Reply to
ncs

Factory DRLs on '03 minivan = poorly-implemented high beams.

DS (incidentally, there's no adverse interaction with the BCM by installing the aftermarket turn signal DRL module referred to below).

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The '00 seems easy enough, but what if I wanted to pursue the factory high beam method on my '05? Can parts be bought off the Chrysler shelf as well? I read somewhere that the BCM must be re-programed to indicate a FLEET vehicle.

Thank you for your input!

Reply to
ls_dot1

Reply to
mic canic

Does the scan tool have to be the factory DRB, or can a generic scanner (Snap-On for example) be used?

Thanks!

Reply to
ls_dot1

No, it's a matter of BCM programming. Can't figure out why you'd want to go to more trouble to have less-effective DRLs.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Dan,

It's not that I disagree with you, but..... I've already put out an inquiry to a Canadian Dodge dealer for the relay on the '00. However, since the '05 is brand new, I have to be concerned about doing anything to upset the factory warranty. I should add that I'm well qulaified to install the aftermarket item you suggested, but would prefer the less intrusive option for the time being. Do you know if a generic scanner can be used, or must Chrysler's DRB be used? Also (if you know), will a dealer program the BCM for a fee, or will I be told it voids the warranty or is contrary to their agreement with the factory.

Mike

Reply to
ls_dot1

No need; you could've got it through the US dealer network.

A valid enough concern -- the BCM, however, won't know or care the aftermarket module is there. Some of the aftermarket modules *are* rather invasive to the electrical system; that's one reason why I recommended this particular one.

One thing I've never tried is installing the '96-'00 turn signal module w/DRL functionality on an '01-up van. It might slot right in.

Believe this is a Chrysler-only function.

Dealer attitudes vary -- check with yours. But be sure to ask exactly what they'll do; some dealers will just add an aftermarket DRL module, in which case you are better off doing it yourself.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

it's a customer prefence and it takes a drb as far as i know the snap on scanners i have used did not have the software to comm. with the fcm

the dealer should take care of you > Dan,

Reply to
mic canic

Thanks for your input!

Reply to