Exhaust rattle solution?

Hi group, I have a 96 jx convertible and have been putting up with this loud rattle at idle for the longest time, and now it has gotten louder (and somewhat embarassing). The shop says it is the catalytic converter, and wants $700 to replace it. The car has 135k miles. I'm not willing to invest that amount in a car whose blue book value is about $3k, and want to get a least another year out of it. We really enjoy driving this "classic" car and hate to trade it in. There is nothing else wrong with the car. Even the original roof is in excellent (some cosmetic marks) condition. I'm assuming the guts of the converter have broken loose inside. What if I either squeezed it with a c-clamp or drove some stainless deck screws into the sides of it. Would that hold it or make it worse? I'm not familiar with this item. Any ideas for a quick fix without breaking any laws? Thanks. Rick

Reply to
Rick

maxpower

II think that there are "universal type" convertors that are considerably less expensive (cheaper??) than from DC.

Reply to
txgizmo

The shop's probably right about it being the catcon, but $700 sounds like the price for a dealer to install a factory catcon. Forget that noise; go to a good local independent exhaust shop (stay away from the franchise houses -- Midas, Meineke, etc. install shitty parts using shoddy labor). There are fully approved aftermarket catcons that will do just fine and you can get one installed at considerably lower cost than $700.

Either of these hacks would make it very much worse, very fast.

Replace the converter. Your performance and fuel mileage will increase, and the rattle will go away.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

This is really good advice, and you should take it. Basically you should avoid any chain that has stockholders to feed using your money. That's a pretty good rule for any kind of car repair.

Reply to
Joe

He didn't say where is is from but if he lives in California, and if his '96 has the same system as my T&C (I believe it is the OB II system), he can only go to a state approved shop that will charge roughly the same as the dealer.

Reply to
RPhillips47

I would check this myself and make sure it is the cat con and not just the heat shield that is rattling. The heat shield is cheap and easy to fix, the cat con is more expensive and requires more labor.

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Reply to
mic canic

Maybe wherever you are this is acceptable but in California - No Way!

Reply to
RPhillips47

Reply to
Rick

Good idea. But the dealer checked and said it was the converter. I could get a second opinion, maybe get a gas station to lift it and check myself. Rick

Reply to
Rick

If, as seems to be the case, you're trying to minimize car repair and upkeep costs, why on earth are you taking it to a *dealer* for repair?!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Perhaps he has a reputable dealer of which, contrary to what you continue to try to convince people, there are many.

Reply to
RPhillips47