local tranny shop

I have to relate my experience with the local AAMCO here in st petersburg and the manager Carl. I have a 94 town and country with over 190000 milese on it last June I had the trans rebuilt at AAMCO. 17,000 miles and 13 months later, something broke in the trans. A hard part shaft or something. Went to the Ammco with my now defunct warranty 12/12 I was out on both time and miles. Carl said don't worry I'll take care of you. Well the next day, I call he said its needs an overhaul, I gulped and asked how much. his reply "don't worry its covered."

Reply to
walt peifer

Okay, so is that the end of the story? Was it covered?

Ed

Reply to
Ed

I would think that a rebuilt should have lasted longer than that. Does AAMCO use quality new or remanufactured parts? I had a rebuilt fail within a few months due to a faulty remanufactured converter.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

most rebuilds replace selected parts (clutches frictive surfaces thrust washer) not all internal hard parts. A failure of a hard part (broken input shaft, cracked drum, spline gear ect) is possible on a fresh rebuild as all the parts in the trans are not given a microscopic inspection. Even new cars with new transmission sometime have a failure of one of these items (flaws in castings, machining errors) that are not caught in standard QC test.

My original point was simply that as I was outside the warranty period, The shop was not under obligation to repair the trans for free yet they did so because they want to maintain good relations with their customers. Therefore if I have a trans go bad in another vehicle they will be my first and only choice for the repair and I will recommend to others who need trans service

Reply to
walt peifer

I agree. Nice to see them willing to help, even with an expired warranty.

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson