Location of VSS on Dodge Caravan 1996, 3.0, 3 Speed Transmission

A mechanic changed the backup light switch on my 3 speed transmission in my Dodge Caravan 1996, 3.0 engine, the other day and ever since the speedometer does not work intermittently, the Check Engine Light has come on and it points to the VSS.

Can changing the backup light switch interfere with the normal operation of VSS, since we never had this problem before?

Is the replacement of VSS an easy thing to do?

Is it easily accessible?

Where exactly should I look for it?

Thanks

Matt

Reply to
Anonymous

The backup light/neutral safety switch is in the same general vicinity as the VSS, so if a mechanic weren't paying attention, he could've knocked loose the VSS wires or perhaps removed them deliberately and failed to reseat them correctly.

Yes. It is atop the RH extension housing of the transaxle, accessible from the left rear corner of the engine bay. One bolt holds the VSS in place. First be sure the wires are seated correctly; you may not require a new sensor.

Why do you care? The mechanic screwed it up; take the vehicle back to him!

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern