PT Cruiser chiming and sputtering

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser and I=92m having a weird problem.

While driving, the car will start chiming (like I=92ve left the keys in with the door open). The warning lights on the dash (oil, airbag, etc) will start flashing, the speedometer will move around wildly and the engine will start surging. It never actually cuts off but it seems close to stalling. This will sometimes last a few seconds and sometimes several minutes.

The problem is intermittent. I=92ve taken the car to the dealership several times and they can find nothing wrong with it. They tell me there is no record of the malfunction.

My girlfriend is the primary driver of this car. I have never seen this happen but today she called while it was happening and I could hear it over the phone.

There are about 32,000 miles on the car and would like this fixed before the warranty runs out.

Any ideas?

Reply to
chambersdon

Yes. Your not going to like it, though.

Get a statement from the dealership in writing that there is nothing wrong with the car. Then, trade it in for another used PT Cruiser.

Once the factory warranty runs out you will lose quite a lot of value in the car. The problem you have right now is that the dealership probably knows that there is a problem but they also know that if they stall you, it will soon become your problem. If you trade it in then it becomes a situation where the dealership has to fish or cut bait, they cannot claim that your trade in value is very low because the car has a problem, while at the same time claiming that there is no problem and thus no warranty work is needed. Most likely they will take it in trade and give you full book on it then quietly dump it through an auto auction.

Troubleshooting this kind of intermittent can take many, many hours. Hours that the warranty reimbursement from Chrysler absolutely will not cover. The dealership knows this. They don't want to lose the money. Thus they will stall you till the warranty runs out then claim there was never a problem with the car. It makes no difference that you took it in before the end of the warranty period. In theory since you complained, the warranty should cover it. In practice unless they document a problem before the warranty runs out, you don't have dick and you will have to fight - with lawyers of necessary - to get any satisfaction. What you end up losing in your time and possibly lawyer fees will never be covered by warranty, nor will rental on a car while the dealership lets the car sit in their service bay a week.

You probably will lose some money in trading it in right now. But, you will lose more if you keep doing what your doing. Particularly since it sounds like you and your girlfriend aren't married and she is depending on you to fix this car - that's a great recipie to drive a wedge between both of you. You will end up arguing at the dealer and when they find out your not the titled owner of the car they will claim they have to talk to your girlfriend, she will beg you to talk to the dealer, and the three of you will go round and round and round until warranty runs out.

If this was your car and you were single and had time on your hands, and you had the luxury and time to keep taking it back to the dealer, bitching on the phone with them every day, and a spare car that you could drive so you wern't continuing to rack up the mileage on this one, then the situation would be different. Because, that is literally what it takes to get an intermittent fixed - you have to camp out and or picket the dealership until they agree to have one of their mechanics drive the PT for a week as his own personal car until it acts up. And for a 2 year old car that is near the end of warranty they will fight doing that tooth and nail.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

While driving, the car will start chiming (like I?ve left the keys in with the door open). The warning lights on the dash (oil, airbag, etc) will start flashing, the speedometer will move around wildly and the engine will start surging. It never actually cuts off but it seems close to stalling. This will sometimes last a few seconds and sometimes several minutes.

The problem is intermittent. I?ve taken the car to the dealership several times and they can find nothing wrong with it. They tell me there is no record of the malfunction.

My girlfriend is the primary driver of this car. I have never seen this happen but today she called while it was happening and I could hear it over the phone.

There are about 32,000 miles on the car and would like this fixed before the warranty runs out.

Any ideas?

As long as you keep it documented there shouldn't be a problem once it goes out of warranty. Make sure they have scanned all modules for any fault codes.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

I agree. Once it's 'formally' in the records, you should be covered.

I had a turbo engine throw a rod and they offered me either a refund from the first problem or to fix it. When they checked, they found I reported a 'rattle' at 6000 miles that came and went but they couldn't find. The offered refund was based on devaluation all the way back to then since I reported the rattle right away. (Essentially a new car)

That's not to say all dealers are ethical, but you can always go elsewhere.

If you want a little bit of extra assurance, leave a digital camera in the car, and try to trap the problem on video. If you SHOW the tech what happens, zooming in on the dash so they can SEE the flashing and hear the chimes, it's a lot different than describing the problem.

I did that with my cable company. After a couple service calls that always ended with 'it looks ok now', I started videotaping the problem and played the tape. I got the problem bumped up to corporate, and while I had to scream and be really obnoxious, I finally got the problem fixed, and 8 months of cable for free out of it. (Turned out the contract installed didn't 'droop' the cable correctly, and my whole neighborhood had to be rewired!)

Reply to
Mike Y

I agree that you need to stay on them. Don't they have a scan tool that can record the "event" when it happens?

If it cannot be fixed, I would suggest checking to see if your state has an arbitration program, or "lemon law." It should be in the back of the warranty booklet. The programs are listed in state order.

If the panel rules in your favor, Chrysler would buy the car back, less an amount per mile on the odometer. While this is not the best answer, it is better than losing substaintial trade in value if it cannot be fixed, and it is out of warranty.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

It is always a good idea to check the battery contacts for corrosion and to make sure they are not loose. Same thing with computer connections and all grounds. Follow other suggestions regarding getting a record of the problem with Chrysler but also have them check contacts and grounds.

While driving, the car will start chiming (like I?ve left the keys in with the door open). The warning lights on the dash (oil, airbag, etc) will start flashing, the speedometer will move around wildly and the engine will start surging. It never actually cuts off but it seems close to stalling. This will sometimes last a few seconds and sometimes several minutes.

The problem is intermittent. I?ve taken the car to the dealership several times and they can find nothing wrong with it. They tell me there is no record of the malfunction.

My girlfriend is the primary driver of this car. I have never seen this happen but today she called while it was happening and I could hear it over the phone.

There are about 32,000 miles on the car and would like this fixed before the warranty runs out.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Art