Re: 1998 Caravan Starter Replacement Tips

Are you sure it's the starter and not just the contacts? Depending on starter, the contacts may be changeable without even taking the starter off the motor.

I don't know if the starter location in the 98 Caravan is anything like a 91 > Plymouth Grand Voyager, but I found that if I removed the radiator fan > (couple of screws and the electrical connection), then it made it easier to > get to the top starter bolt. It also made it easier to drop a shop light > down from the top so you could see more of what you were doing. But mostly, > you had to do the top bolt by feel. Boy, is it a pain. I've tried removing > and putting the top bolt back from the top and the bottom. Either way is a > challenge. > > > > I finished the job on Sunday... took about 2 hours. Hardest part was > getting > > to the top bolt... then I had to do it twice because the metal flange got > > bent and was rubbing against the flywheel making nasty grinding noise. > > > > I had everything I needed... 15 mm socket, ratchet..etc. The one thing I > did > > buy (in the middle of the job actually) was a set of ratcheting box > > wrenches. > > > > The lower bolt was a PITA to get out since a ratchet wouldn't fit and a > > normal wrench took too long... the ratcheting box wrenches worked great. > In > > hindsight the offset ratcheting box wrenches would have been even better > > (but they were $10.00 more!) > > > > Hope this help somebody in the future! > > > > > buy a tool set with lots of sockets and extensions . a good set would be > > the > > > one that comes with the haynes manual and made in usa, China. > > > > I need to replace the starter on my 1998 Grand Caravan (3.8 liter). > > > > > > > > It looks like everything except the top mounting bolt is readily > > > > accessible.... so are there any tips/tricks/trade secrets to doing the > > > job? > > > > > > > > TIA
Reply to
Mike Yetsko

Reeeeheeeeheeeeeally?

Wish I would have thought of that before I pulled the starter on my '94 grand caravan 3.8 so I could change the contacts.

I don't know though.... not much room to do it while it's still installed.

The '92 has a different radiator and fan setup, so the fan shouldn't be too much in the way for the '98. But it might help now that I think about it. My employer uses the grand caravan (2002) for company vehicles and they sure do look more cramped for space then my '94 under the hood.

I was able to get to the top bolt on my starter with a 3/8 drive socket on a wobble extension. All by feel.

Good luck.

Reply to
Clem

I had to replace the starter on our 99 Gr Voyager (3.3L engine) a few months back. The top bolt was tricky but it is just just like the bottom one in size......you'll just have to feel it out. Also, the replacement starter from CarQuest had a standard flat type of electrical connector as opposed to the Chrysler molded-plug version so I had to cut the Chrysler connector off and just crimp a flat, slide connector on the wire. Good Luck Jeff

Reply to
PQ Guru