Re: 96 T&C Torque Converter went out again

Subject: 96 T&C Torque Converter went out again

>From: Darin snipped-for-privacy@work.com >Date: 7/9/2003 10:49 AM Pacific Standard Time >Message-id: > >The torque converter went out in our 96 T&C van in January. Had it >replaced at the dealer. Two weeks ago it started making a whining noise >so I took it back to the dealer. He replaced the converter again. I >asked if something else could be causing the converter to go bad, he >didn't think so. He said that stuff just happens sometimes. ?? It was >replaced under warranty the second time so it didn't cost me anything. >If the part was bad to begin with, wouldn't it be bad right away instead >of 6 months later? Could something more serious be causing the converter >to go bad? > >Thanks >Darin

May have been a bad run of rebuilt convertors rather than new convertors. You might ask yer service manager what they installed-new or rebuilt.

Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Ask the dealership if they reset the TCM so that it would have to re-learn shifting techniques all over again. I've heard that the transmission can prematurely fail if the computer is not told to 'recalibrate' its shifting when things of this magnitude are changed.

Reply to
Brayton

The bad convertor theory is a possibility. I had my transmission rebuilt last December. After the rebuild, the shop had to replace the convertor twice. The last time, they used another vendor, and it has been fine since. When each convertor went bad, there was delayed engagement going into "drive." Both times, they had to completely dismantle the transmission to remove the debris left from the bad convertors.

-Kirk Matheson

Reply to
Kirk Matheson