Yorker running rough, ANY IDEAS? HELP!

I recently dumped a can of fuel system cleanner on the gas tank to see if the milage would improve, this was 3 days ago, today I started noticing that my muffler did not sound even, it sounded as if a spark plug wire came off, I checked them all, and they are all fine. It wont missfire when Im on the freeway, it will even speed up to 80+ with no problem, but as soon as I come to a stop and idle, I can feel a slight shake and the muffler missing a beat, not smooth. Can this be as the result of the fuel system cleanner? Please send me any other possibilities so I can check, hope is not my engine, coz I dont see any smoke out of the muffler. Thanks.

Reply to
rcjesse

Hi rcjesse...

Not a mechanic, so take this with a grain of salt, but I experienced the same thing a few years ago myself. :(

Dumped a bottle of cleaner in a perfectly operating Olds Regency 3.8 for no good reason at all. Turns out what it did was loosen up all kinds of guck in the tank. Partially plugged up the filter, and made it necessary to get the injectors cleaned. :(

Changed the filter and it got better, but never as good as it was beforehand. Decided to trade it in rather than clean the injectors.

Hopefully others have better and more qualified help for you.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Reply to
rcjesse

Reply to
philthy

I did that to a intrepid once. But in fuel system cleaner, topped up tank then let it sit for a week. Took it right away on a trip of 1700 miles. It road fine till the first fill up. at 11:30 p.m in the middle of nowere Montana. Then about 5 miles from filling up the engine kept stalling and bucking occasionally. stalled about three times for about 10 miles. Then ran a little rough. Stopped in Casper wyoming to have a dealer look at. they hooked it up, and said there was nothing wrong except one sensor should a slight varience in readings at one point. They sent me to a dealer in cheyenne as they had the part in stock. I decided not to go as the car ran fine after the second fill-up. So I think you will see a better improvement after a few fillup. It is probably little gummy balls of sludge working thru.

Reply to
hartless

No lights yet...

Reply to
rcjesse

You do not provide engine or model year info, but based on what you say, I'd recommend thoroughly cleaning the throttle body using Chrysler combustion chamber cleaner or a good commercial throttle body cleaner, toothbrush, and clean rags.

You also do not mention the brand or say what was in the fuel system cleaner. I've personally stuck to Dupont Techron and generally had good results. Good luck and post what you find.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thank you. Yes, I did mentioned it was a 94, with 160K, the engine is the

3.5 V6. Thanks agian.

Reply to
rcjesse