98 Intrepid trnasmission problem

My transmission wont shift up and speedometer shows zero. What I found in the internet, tells me that output and input sensor should be replaced. Some mechanic run my car thru the computer and told me that some transmission computer needs to be replaced too. Is it possible that at the same time all these parts could be broken? It looks to me kind a illogical. thanks

Reply to
jazu

read

sqdancerLynn

Reply to
jazu

Fix the speedometer problem and your transmission will more than likely also be fixed.

If the speedometer in reading zero, then it is most likely the output (drive shaft) speed sensor. The part cost me about $25 a few years back. IIRC, the part number was the same for my Eagle Vision and the T&C Minivan as well. (I've replaced them on both as they are a common failure so dealers keep lots in stock). The replacement will take you about 5-10 minutes max and is pretty accessible from below if you have a large wrench. It is a cheap and easy fix. Make sure the connector is clean when you reconnect the new sensor. Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I'll state it even more strongly: The input sensor being bad will not cause the speedometer to not work. The output sensor being bad will cause the speedometer not to work (as well as the stuck in second gear thang). IOW - yes - replace the output speed sensor.

1" to be exact. Generally a regular 1" socket works - sometimes a 1" open end works better on one of the sensors (I forget whether that's the input or putput one) due to straight-on access of a socket and extension not being very good.

What Bob said.

Bill Putney