the engine lives....

Sorry if my english is really bad, but talking about engines in english is not my strong side since I`m from norway. Our Xantia Exclusive 1999 has started to go from 900 to 3000 rpm when stopping at red lights, and when
shifting gears. It`s like you`re using the gas pedal up and down. It also "dies" when not pushing the gaspedal far enough down. It doesn`t seem to be the battery, cus all the lights, stereo etc runs on full power... As certain as you have to pay taxes, it ran just fine when we had it at the garage.... Could it some automatic choke thing not working properly??? I have NO idea about cars, just how they look, how cool they are and how much power they`ve got..lol.
Any of you experienced this or know what it could be?
Frank..wishing you all a fantastic christmas. I`ve really enjoyed reading many of the post in this group.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ
Frank The Poet (liverpoolrosenborgnardoforfarrangerswerdervalencia@crewegrimsbykiddermin sterstoke.no) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What engine? Petrol, diesel?

No. Diesels have never had "automatic chokes", and fuel injected petrol engines don't, either.
I'd guess that it might be an air leak, if it's a petrol.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ

It`s petrol, 1,8 litre. 117 bhp. That\s about as much as I know about the engine..lol.
Add pictures here
‚úĖ