Xantia keyfob

Threaded View
The central locking will not work from the keyfob. I have replaced the
battery but still son't work. Could it be the fob or the receiver
inside the car (where is it?)
Thanks

Re: Xantia keyfob
What year Xantia have you got.

Neil

Re: Xantia keyfob
Hi, my car is 2001 Y Reg
Thanks

Re: Xantia keyfob
Not the same keyfob as mine I don't think. (mine is 1994) Only reason I
asked was I had to take my fob apart and resolder the joints then it worked
fine, and has done for the last 5 years.
The receiver on mine is just above the inerior mirror. I think there is a
basic difference though between yours and mine. (infra red versas radio)

Neil

Re: Xantia keyfob
the receiver is behind the glove box

Re: Xantia keyfob

If it's a Mk 1 Xantia you can check if the fob is working by looking at
the end through the viewscreen of a digital camera. When you press the
buttons you should see a white light. Note: this doesn't apply to Mk 2
(1998 onwards) vehicles.

HTH

--
Regards

Steve G

Re: Xantia keyfob
SteveG (_@_._) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The method you describe will work with IR keyfobs - both of my mother's
Xantias (one '94, one '96) had radio keyfobs, same as my '96 XM.

Re: Xantia keyfob

Really, that's quite interesting as Citroen say that the IR fob was used
on the Xantia until the Mark 2 was introduced in 1998.

--
Regards

Steve G

Re: Xantia keyfob
SteveG (_@_._) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Her first one was an L-reg (pre-first-facelift, non-antisink) 2.0i 8v VSX,
the second an M-reg (post-first-facelift, antisink) 2.0i 16v SX. Neither
were the post-second-facelift white-rear-light cars that I presume you're
meaning by "Mk2". They moved AWAY from the two-button radio key and keypad
immobiliser to the transponder immobiliser, AIUI. I wonder if that's what's
meant?

Re: Xantia keyfob

When I bought my current Xantia recently (a 1997 VSX) I went to our
local Citroen dealer for a new plip. They were pretty categorical that
if the car was pre-98 it had an IR system.

Back in 97 I had a brand new Xantia and that was also IR - two buttons
and the keypad immobiliser just like the one I've got now. My owners
handbook only mentions the IR type too.

Maybe they fitted whatever they had the most of on the production line
but didn't tell the dealers?

--
Regards

Steve G

Re: Xantia keyfob
SteveG (_@_._) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The two-button key isn't IR - it's radio.

Let's put it this way... my '96 XM key has two buttons, looks identical to
a Xant one, and works fine (anything up to 100yds away) from inside my
pocket with no line of sight to the receiver which is inside the dash
somewhere around the glovebox... I don't remember either of the Xants I'm
thinking of having an IR "eye" on the fob, or a "blister" somewhere in the
car for the receiver.

IR needs line-of-sight and is short range.
Radio doesn't need line-of-sight and is longer range.

Simple test - Stand away from your Xant, point the key away from it, and
see if it works. If it does, then it's radio.

Re: Xantia keyfob

Mine has two button and is definitely IR. No question about it :-)

--
Regards

Steve G

Re: Xantia keyfob

was snipped
Mine isn't, unless they put an IR diode in the front of it for fun, and
deliberately reduced its range to 3 metres line-of-sight to the sensor
behind the rear-view mirror just to annoy me.

Not that the f****r works consistently from *any* range these days......

TF

('96 TDLX in case you were wondering)

Re: Xantia keyfob