Xantia keyfob

The central locking will not work from the keyfob. I have replaced the battery but still son't work. Could it be the fob or the receiver inside the car (where is it?) Thanks

What year Xantia have you got.

Neil

Hi, my car is 2001 Y Reg Thanks neil wrote:

Not the same keyfob as mine I don't think. (mine is 1994) Only reason I asked was I had to take my fob apart and resolder the joints then it worked fine, and has done for the last 5 years. The receiver on mine is just above the inerior mirror. I think there is a basic difference though between yours and mine. (infra red versas radio)

Neil

xf8u schreef:

the receiver is behind the glove box

Oneway wrote:

If it's a Mk 1 Xantia you can check if the fob is working by looking at the end through the viewscreen of a digital camera. When you press the buttons you should see a white light. Note: this doesn't apply to Mk 2 (1998 onwards) vehicles.

HTH

--
Regards

Steve G

SteveG (_@_._) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The method you describe will work with IR keyfobs - both of my mother's Xantias (one '94, one '96) had radio keyfobs, same as my '96 XM.

Adrian wrote:

Really, that's quite interesting as Citroen say that the IR fob was used on the Xantia until the Mark 2 was introduced in 1998.

--
Regards

Steve G

SteveG (_@_._) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Her first one was an L-reg (pre-first-facelift, non-antisink) 2.0i 8v VSX, the second an M-reg (post-first-facelift, antisink) 2.0i 16v SX. Neither were the post-second-facelift white-rear-light cars that I presume you're meaning by "Mk2". They moved AWAY from the two-button radio key and keypad immobiliser to the transponder immobiliser, AIUI. I wonder if that's what's meant?

Adrian wrote:

When I bought my current Xantia recently (a 1997 VSX) I went to our local Citroen dealer for a new plip. They were pretty categorical that if the car was pre-98 it had an IR system.

Back in 97 I had a brand new Xantia and that was also IR - two buttons and the keypad immobiliser just like the one I've got now. My owners handbook only mentions the IR type too.

Maybe they fitted whatever they had the most of on the production line but didn't tell the dealers?

--
Regards

Steve G

SteveG (_@_._) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The two-button key isn't IR - it's radio.

Let's put it this way... my '96 XM key has two buttons, looks identical to a Xant one, and works fine (anything up to 100yds away) from inside my pocket with no line of sight to the receiver which is inside the dash somewhere around the glovebox... I don't remember either of the Xants I'm thinking of having an IR "eye" on the fob, or a "blister" somewhere in the car for the receiver.

IR needs line-of-sight and is short range. Radio doesn't need line-of-sight and is longer range.

Simple test - Stand away from your Xant, point the key away from it, and see if it works. If it does, then it's radio.

Adrian wrote:

Mine has two button and is definitely IR. No question about it :-)

--
Regards

Steve G

was snipped

Mine isn't, unless they put an IR diode in the front of it for fun, and deliberately reduced its range to 3 metres line-of-sight to the sensor behind the rear-view mirror just to annoy me.

Not that the f****r works consistently from *any* range these days......

TF

('96 TDLX in case you were wondering)

Tony Fisk <fiskfamily wrote: