Intake Manifold pressure

I am running a modified engine in my chev 350 and getting a reading of 40 with my vaccum gauge. Does that seem about right for a good running engine?
Carb shows same thing and steady. Its been so long since I tried to tweek something with the gauge I think I forget most of what I trying to accomplish.
any body know for sure?
"But now is the time for the younger men to lock in rough encounters, time for me to yield to the pains of old age. But there was a day I shone among the champions."
Homer, The Illiad, 23.715-719 (800 BC). King Nestor of Pylos.
Sounds like you've got a bad vacuum gauge. Good engine vacuum #'s are in the 15-20" range for a mild engine setup.

among the champions."

Thanks, I am going to upgrade my intake to an air gap this weekend and will try a different gauge at the same time.