Alternative engines for a TR8

The few genuine RHD TR8s around seem to be both tatty and overpriced for the most part. So if I wanted a V8-engined wedge, what are my options other than making my own?

Has anyone ever made their own TR8 - or perhaps more correctly, TR7 V8 - using an engine other than a Rover?

Would a Stag engine fit a TR7 engine bay? Presumably it would. The Rover V8 was too tall (at the time) for the Stag but fitted the TR7's engine bay. So the Stag's smaller engine would presumably have worked, and had it not proved troublesome, presumably this is what we'd have got. Anyone tried it? What are the issues around fitting a heavier engine?

Reply to
The Blue Max

The recent heatwave has obviously effected people!..................why else would anyone consider a dreadful Stag motor, rather than the trusty Rover V8!

Reply to
simon

Because it sounds better? I like the Rover V8, but a Stag with the right engine sounds fantastic. Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

It's not the Rover V-8 that is too tall for the Stag, but the standard SU carb position. If that was the only reason for Triumph not using it, they could have re-engineered it for Strombergs or a downdraught set up rather more cheaply than designing their own engine.

They designed their own engine due to internal politics, as did Jaguar, and IMHO rightly so. It's just a pity they didn't have a larger budget to finish the job. ;-)

I'd think you'd pay *a lot* for a good Stag unit, for no advantage whatsoever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

That's *purely* a function of the exhaust system.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Crikey. Even more rare and expensive than a Stag unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Yes - Rover had sales for all the engines they could make, and their production techniques (mainly casting) didn't allow a rapid increase in production. Although I believe inter maker politics played a large part too.

Hmm. My brother has a 'normal' Stag and I've driven a fairly rough converted one. Can't say I noticed much difference in the handling - the Rover one still understeered.

Grand plans indeed. Pity they didn't start out with sound engineering principles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

oxymoron ?

Reply to
AWM

Leyland P76 4.4 litre, development of Rover. This was a bolt-in with a P6B. Much stronger than the 3.5.

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

Like this...

Verra nice.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Don't think many have managed to break a standard 3.5 in good condition - unless they overheat it etc.

I had an early HC MK 1 3500 which I ran to a high mileage and thrashed without mercy. The engine never missed a beat. Got through 4 B-W 35s and a couple of final drives, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

"Dave Plowman" wrote

Definitely. I suspect, though, that even if they *hadn't*, Triumph couldn't have made the Rover engine work. Not enough Rover engines to go round = too few Stags to recover costs. And of course if Stags weren't using Stag engines, there'd be a loss of the economy of scale from sharing parts among several cars' engines. They thought they were going to sell 15,000 Stags a year so Gawd knows what losing those would have done to the economics.

The Rover engine is reportedly about 100 (or is that 150?) lbs lighter than the Stag engine, so you'd need to rethink suspension / damper settings and so on. Clearly it *can* be done. Never driven a Rovered Stag though.

Or just build the poxy thing properly. Emptying all the casting sand out would have been a good start.

Reply to
The Blue Max

There are a few "professionally converted" TR7/V8's available now and then, you just have to search the ads.

In the US a Buick V6 is a popular one, but anything will fit if you've got a big enough hammer. :-)

The TR7 was designed for the Rover V8 which is why the conversion is relatively easy; you can get kits. But given that even a Rover V8 conversion sets you back more than the finished car is worth, using another engine would be a hell of a lot more hassle and expense to end up with a hybrid. OK if that's what you want, but you could spend the money wiser methinks. The TR7's front brakes are only barely adequate for the standard car so ANY mods mean better brakes. Easily available for £300 upwards. A heavier engine would mean upping spring rates and dampers I guess, but the shell is a very strong structure (or at least it was when it left the production line, but then they rust like hell!) so it should be OK.

On the subject of "if only.." regarding Triumph engines and BL Management (in)decisions, the TR7 2 litre engine is a bigger Dolomite engine which was itself, half of the Stag V8. Then they made a 16 valve head for it and shoved it in the Dolly Sprint. The next step could have been to make another 16v head for the other bank of the V8 and give us a 4 litre 32 valve V8. But then if my Aunt had balls, she would be my Uncle.

PeteW (Had to work today)

What the f*ck's that mean?

Reply to
Pete W.

Just seen PC and there's a comparison between a standard Stag and a Rover engined one. They mention the handling is worse even although it's a pro conversion.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Eh? Given that the engine is a tad lighter, and if done properly is sited at least as low and as far back as the Stag engine how can this be the case? Not querying you Dave, just the opinion expressed in PC - do they give a reason? Maybe they haven't changed the front spring rates - though I guess the difference would be marginal anyway.

TR7 V8 engine alternative? What about the TVR engineered V8 post-Griffith, maybe from a pranged car?

-- Ken Davidson

Reply to
DocDelete

DocDelete waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Would be a waste of a good engine, putting one of those in a TR7

Reply to
Pete M

You're like, kidding - yes?

Best Regards John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Reply to
John McCabe

Their main complaint was that the steering was even lighter which made the car unstable at speed, but I'd think you'd get used to this and make allowances.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

John McCabe waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

I actually quite like TR7s, I DO like TR8s, but putting the glorious TVR motor in one just seems like a waste to me. Although I would love a nice Tony Pond replica TR8. As for takin the p*** out of my trusty old Golf, well, it's cheap and cheerful.

Reply to
Pete M

You mean like a modern Subara Impreza ;-) The answer to the Stag "problem" may be to get rid of the power steering, if you could be bother *and* couldn't adapt. Sounds like bollocks to me...

-- Ken Davidson

Reply to
DocDelete