Number plates

Can any one tell me what is the correct style of number plates for a 1970 car. Mine had the black and silver plastic but they don't look right. Should they be the pressed alloy type white and yellow. Also does any one know the best place to buy them. Thanks Dave

Reply to
Dave

Hello Dave, in message , on Fri, 10 Oct 2003, you wrote

Legally, they can be sliver or white on black for any vehicle constructed before 1/1/73. Realistically, most cars were fitted with reflective plates from the late 60's onwards I believe. Due to recent legislation however, new reflective plates can only be supplied using the new style typeface, which does not look right on a 70's (or 80's or

90's) car either, and leaves many of us in a difficult situation should we ever need to replace the plates on our cars :(
Reply to
Philip Stokes

Pressed aluminium plates, ali on black, would be appropriate for 1970. try Tippers -

Richard Porter

for 1970 you are entitled to use Black/Silver or Black/White plates, with a character width of 3 1/8", these can be either black with raised silver or white letters, or Pressed Ally.

A lot of cars in 1970 already had White/Black & Yellow/Black plates, these would probably have been reflective plates with raised letters stuck on, rather than the later Laminated types.

All in all, black/silver doesn't look quite right on vehicles of that age.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Depends on the vehicle, IMO. If it's an older, long running design, like a Herald or Morris 1000, then they look quite appropriate whereas they look very silly on something "modern" like a Hillman Hunter.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Reply to
geoff