Re: 'ere, a petition for you all to sign.

and if not, I want to know why... :-)

Alex

I can't see a problem in renewing it every year. Helps keep a track on vehicles. Surely this is a good thing?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The date being 24 Jan 2008, "Dave Plowman (News)" decided to write:

It's a pain in the neck. They send out reminders before the first day that you can renew tax/sorn and you can be fined if you forget. Surely if you own a vehicle it should be your responsibility until you notify the DVLA that you have sold, exported or destroyed it.

Reply to
Richard Porter

I'd say the main reason the excise duty hasn't been abolished and put on fuel tax is the need to register the vehicle details each year. It's all very well saying it should be your responsibility to register any changes only when they happen but many simply wouldn't bother.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's an easy way of knowing what exactly is on the road and an attempt to make sure everyone is insured and has the appropriate documentation up to date.

Reply to
William Black

On or around Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:10:38 +0530, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

but for vehicles that are NOT on the road, it's a waste of time and resources to keep saying so every year, which is my point.

I've been had several times for failure to SORN, because I have several SORN vehicles at any given time, and in many cases, none of them end up going back on the road, but they're still more or less complete and therefore not scrapped.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But presumably you keep them complete in the belief that one day you might put them back on the road? I can see SORN being a inconvenience for honest people but then most laws ain't needed for those. ;-) Of course it might be in the light of number plate recognition picking up many more 'illegal' vehicles on the road SORN could be modified in some way. But that also relies on vehicles being able to be traced in some circumstances.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yeahbut you are a honest, law abiding, citizen. Those ads they have abou= t having your car crushed just make me laugh. The scroats that are driving= around unlicensed and/or no insurance and/or no MOT vehicles worth =A310=

00 or less aren't going to pay the tax disc. If they could SORN it without =

having to renew, it's just another loophole for them to use.

A lot of laws these days are brought in under this mishaprehension that =

everyone wants to obey the law. Trouble is a significant number of peopl= e are perfectly happy to operate outside it.

So you are a slow learner? B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:26:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" enlightened us thusly:

They can be traced, they're registered to me and declared SORN. My objection is that having declared a vehicle off-road, I have to keep on so declaring, every year, for each vehicle. Waste of my time, waste of their time and postage and resources.

IF the vehicle is on the road without tax, it's still just as SORN as it was when I first declared it. Nothing is gained by repeating the declaration. They'd have more resources to pursue genuine dodgers if they didn't waste resources on this.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:01:09 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

this is a red herring - most of those vehicles are not registered to a known address anyway. SORN in principle is good, it provides an instant check that the thing is not meant to be on the road. It's still not necessary to declare SORN more than once.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Pardon me for asking, but just what is the NEED to re-register the vehicle every year, or register it in the first place except as a revenue generator?

Reply to
GbH

Plus of course just filling out false information each and every year. Can't see much point in regular SORNs other than to squeeze loot out of forgetful welshmen ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Fairy Nuff.

Hum, so I buy cash in hand, no reciepts, one of your SORN vehicles, you =

don't know me from Adam. Some time later I put the vehicle onto the publ= ic highway, it gets spotted, who do they come looking for you or me? In a year who gets the fine for not renewing the SORN?

The SORN non-renewal fine could be looked at as an incentive for you to =

make sure you do the V5 bit properly when you sell, if only to ensure yo= u are no longer (in theory) legally responsible for that vehicle. Without = a SORN renewal this mis-registration of keeper might not come to light for= years if at all.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you can't work that out for yourself I can't be bothered telling you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On or around Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:13:58 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

I'd send in the V5 with your name on it, anyway, cash in hand or otherwise - 'cos if not I'd still be liable for it.

yeah, but if you have it on the road registered to me, then the fines come to me, so there's every incentive for me to send in the V5, even if you give me a false name and address, I've still notified that I'm no longer the keeper.

and if you do give false details, I guess sooner or later it'd get flagged up as such and the motor would come up as "not registered" or suchlike when the dibbles checked it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Fri, 25 Jan 2008 16:07:42 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)" enlightened us thusly:

It's not re-registering, as you well know, DP. I'm starting to think you're a troll.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Again, so what?

Reply to
GbH

Cos if you blew the cobwebs out of your mind and thought about it? What does it benefit me to do it?

Reply to
GbH

It is confirming various details.

I certainly could 'troll' by asking just why some seem so scared of the authorities knowing who owns a vehicle.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He is, catch up Austin ;-) Mr. Killfile is your bestest friend.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings