Spot weld drill - how to use?

I've been given an air operated spot weld drill for Christmas (lucky man!). It comes with a support arm and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use this particular feature. I had assumed that the arm would be used to support the rear of the panels I was drilling. However the arm is fixed relative to the drill bit so, as the drill progresses into the metal, the support arm will move away from the rear of the panels.

Anybody have any experience of using this arrangement or able to give advice?

TIA

Reply to
Tony1

You mean the arm that's actually a depth guage?

Reply to
Conor

The arm is a "G" shape with the top of the G mounted on the drill body; this can be rotated through 360deg but has no for/aft movement. The tongue of the G is opposite the drill bit but is about 1/2 - 3/4" away from it. There is a small screw fitted to this but it does not have sufficien adjustment to close up this gap.

The depth stop is adjustable and is in the form of a sprung sleeve fitted concentrically with the drill bit and mounted into the drill body.

So, no, it isn't a depth gauge.

Reply to
Tony1

Perhaps it is to hold a piece of wood packing (and the screw is to clampr the packing) in order to prevent distortion as the hole is drilled ???

Reply to
Prickle

I'm now able to answer my own question. When the trigger is operated the part of the body of the gun holding the drill bit and depth stop advances to calm the workpiece between the drill bit and support arm.

Reply to
Tony1