Air Filters

Hi.
First let me say - I drive a 1999 C5 6-speed - but I'm absolutely no mechanic.
Q. Does anyone know anything about the SLP (Donaldson) Blackwing Corvette
Air Intake System ? I thought I had a K&N air filter, until I realised I the filter was connected to an OEM part (rather than the K&N hose). Then I looked a little closer & figured out it was this SLP (very expensive $250+) filter.
So, the car's done 70,000 in 7 years (I did the last 20,000) of that. I'm figuring the filter is well over due for cleaning. I had a 60,000 service & was told that they couldn't clean a K&N (sic) filter.
What's SOP for when & how to clean. Does anyone do any kits or anything ?

If youve got a ton of miles on the Air FIlter, i wouldnt bother trying to clean it. Just replace it . Then, clean it regularly from then on.
1. Is your name dave?.......................................then you're an ASSHOLE 2. Do you think your shit don't stink?..................then you're an ASSHOLE 3. Do you need to tell everyone else how to live?..then you're an ASSHOLE 4. Do you have a fourth grade education?............then you're an ASSHOLE 5. Do you believe in imaginary beings?................then you're an
ASSHOLE
You can absolutely clean a K&N filter. That is one of their biggest selling points. Do a Google on "K&N FIlter Cleaning Kit"... It will come with a detergent for cleaning and a bottle of spray oil to lightly coat the element after cleaning. Lightly coating the element is very important after cleaning.
Rufio wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

much about it.
BUT it came with an aftermarket exhaust whcih I could not initially identify and a Blackwing cold air intake air filter etc... In the folder that came with the factory info were 2 fender badges "ZL-5/slp"
So I am assuming that this car does in fact have the SLP "5" package....
The info I have on the filter etc shows a small valve like sitting on top which changes color to RED when its time to clean the filter.... mine is a off whote in color ( the car only has 21,000 miles on it..)
New replacement filters are listed on the SLP website retailing for 20 bucks pleted or non pleated ...
Bob G. still sorting out the car...