Ignition Switch

I have a 76 that needs the ignition switch changed. I have the wheel off, but can't figure out how to get the next piece off to get access to the key clinder and switch. It looks like a flat plastic cover. Thanks for your help Mike

Reply to
c1gmlm

Put your key in, turn it to accessory, push a small drill bit into the hole in the face of the switch and depress the cylinder's lock while turning the cylinder past accessory and pull it out. Insert new lock with the new key in it turned to accessory and turn it to start, done.

Easy if you still have a working key and you have the switch that has the hole that is not covered with a plastic shroud, otherwise all bets are off.

Reply to
Dad

76 has a retainer type ign in the column. Its not in the dash...
Reply to
'Key

you have to have a depressor to push the steering locking plate down so you can remove the retainer ring that's holding it in place. if you don't have a compressor? you can use a couple if hammer handles, place one at 9:00 o'clock and the other at

3:00 o'clock, place the other ends against you chest and push inward to compress and hold the steering locking plate while you remove the retainer ring. you can also have someone help you hold the locking plate down while you remove the retainer ring. note: you have to walk the retainer ring up the steering post to remove it. a couple of small flat-head screw drivers will help you accomplish this.

after you have removed the ring and the steering locking plate, look at you new ignition and you will see a back spring loaded retainer near the rear of the ignition. Picture where that will be when its installed. look at that general area. you may have to take a flat screw-driver and punch a hole through the pot-metal that is probably covering up retainer that's holding the lock in place. you may or many not have to remove the key-buzzer actuator if its in the way? after you have installed your new ignition, reverse the process.

another way is to get a body hammer and screw it into your keyway at least an inch and slam the ignition out. this will work because you have a retainer type ignition. this method will not work on newer models as they have a screw that holds the ignition in.

g'luck

Reply to
'Key

Think he's trying to get past the steering wheel lock. Wish he would have given a tad more information.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

yea, the more I think about it, he may have had a telescopic tilt wheel. I am not sure what the 76 had..

Reply to
'Key

It's a basic column no telescopic or tilt. I got the ring off and the turn signal switch is hanging out, I took out the 4 bolts holding the next piece of the column but it seems to be connected to somehing I cannot see. This all started when the key started sticking in the start mode and not returning to run. Hopefully I haven't ruined the starter. I'll save that for another day. Advice I got from a local guy said try to clean up the lock cylinder, maybe the ignition switch doesn't need changing. Once I get in there should I change it anyway being it's not too expensive of a part according to a parts catalog?

Mike

Reply to
c1gmlm

Try WD40 sprayed into the lock. It might work..

Reply to
Eugene Blanchard

WD won't help his situation. the spring retainer cap has come loose and is blocking the ignition plug from returning to the off position. the ignition needs to be removed and repaired or replaced.

Reply to
'Key