Dodge Neon Ignition Switch

My friend has a key stuck in the ignition switch. How hard is it to change the switch?

can he still start it and shut it off with it still in there? if he can i would just leave it in there and put a club on the steering wheel to make sure no one steals the car.

The tumbler/wafers in the switch are bad, if your friend takes and taps on the key as he is turning it, it may turn and come out. The key has to be tap as you want to make it go further into the switch while you turn it. The cylinder is easy to remove but it has to be recoded with new wafers/tumblers. This is assuming that he is not having a problem with the shift linkage on the floor.
Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech
Thanks. I think we will try to replace the switch. I've never doen that before but another mechanic emailed me and said just push up through the access hole in the shroud as you turn the key.
The shift linkage seems ok but that mechanic also said the shift interlock might be preventing the key from going to the full off position (which is what it feels like). Your information was very helpul. Thanks again.
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:17:36 -0400, "maxpower"