Stuck ignition switch

What would be a main cause if the ignition switch will only go into accessory and lock (won't go forward at all)? Yes it's the right key... Tried turning the wheel and moving the shifter while trying to turn the key and no luck.

Reply to
MetalDrgn

Had something similar just happen to my Formula, but mine stuck when I engaged the starter. I ended up having to break out the black plastic piece to get it unstuck. With my switch it seems to be pushing too far into the column and catching, though I've not yet pulled things apart to discover specifics. In my case I need a new key lock. The local dealer priced it at $70 plus $25 each for a VATS key. Since it involves that many dollars I'm more than happy to bypass the VATS and use the key and a screwdriver to start the car. Probably stay that happy for a few more months.

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Or, you can have a locksmith take a look at the tumblers.

GLK9MM

thanks for the reply. I found out it was the rod that goes from the steering column down the shaft to the starter switch was caught on something. It ended up being the wire that locks the wheel when you have the key in the lock position. It's missing a spring or something and got in the way of the rod. This is my car at home and I'm 2000 miles away right now so I don't know exactly what it looked like. Yea the lock cylinder was pulled out and it worked fine. Well all better now :)

This car doesn't have VATS, but my other one here does and I've already found the value for it so I can just bypass it myself with some resistors...

Reply to
MetalDrgn