Horn Problems

Hi,

My wife has a 2002 Neon. A couple days ago her horn stopped working. Where is the horn in the Neon, and is there anything special I need to know about it?

Thanks, Aaron

Reply to
TSS.BamBam

Could be several things, amigo.

  1. Does your alarm horn still work?
  2. Have you been in a front-end accident or flood or even hard rain?
[Try]

- Check fuses. One first gen Neons there are fuses in the driver side dash up by the steering wheel in between the door and the dash. There are also fuses under the hood. THAT is where your hood relay is

- Check your hood relay. A multimeter might work somehow. I'm not an electrician but I've heard (verify this) if you hook jumper cables up and then test the horn and it works you know its your relay.

- Check the horn wires... should be either attached to the firewall or the front bumper. MAKE SURE to press the horn in when you volt-test the wires.

==One of those three are likely to be your problem. However,==

- There's also a slight possibility, I'd suppose, that the contacts in your steering wheel have become worn, gone bad, or something else. Get a Hayne's Manual from your local parts store or Dodge Dealership and if you have the cajones take the steering wheel off via the instructions in the manual.

- My local Dodge Dealer Parts Dept is also very helpful - if I tell them the problem they really do help me troubleshoot it witout trying to sell me much useless parts (so you might try your dealer's parts dept, too - but be careful).

Reply to
Bulldog06

Assuming you have checked the fuses your next step would be with a test lite and the right side headlamp removed. Have someone push the horn pad and you test for 12 volts at the horn connector with the test lite.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
damnnickname

Yep, checked the fuses. I am thinking it may be a loose wire. My main question though is: Where is the horn in a Neon? I'm not much of a mechanic, but I can check for loose wires/volt test. I just don't know where the horn and associated equipment is located in a Neon. I didn't want to go buy a shop manual for a quesiton I figured any neon owner on this site could answer :)

I don't want to do major work, just fix the horn so I can trade it in next week.

thanks.

damnnickname wrote:

Reply to
TSS.BamBam

It is strange: nobody answer you question! The horn is located under the passenger fender and should be on top next to the headlamp. I can not reach the horn from the botton but you will see the wire going to the horn: cut it, by a new horn ($14.99 for a set of low and high frecuency) and reinstall the horns in your favorite place.Chrysler horns are sucks I have replaced the horns from my wife 2000 Town and Country, from my daughter 2002 Neon R/T and from my 2005 Charger. Julio

Reply to
JuliofromHouston

I replied to this under my other log in name Damnnickname

Assuming you have checked the fuses your next step would be with a test lite and the right side headlamp removed. Have someone push the horn pad and you test for 12 volts at the horn connector with the test lite.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower