Which car to sell?

My son is off to college where he can't have a car, and I really don't want one sitting in my driveway for a year or two; so I want to sell one.
I have a Dodge Grand Caravan 2001 AWD 82,000 miles, and a Ford Explorer 1999
AWD 100,000 miles. The Dodge has a private deal value of $8,000 and the Ford $5,000. The various engine ailments the Ford is subject to have been fixed. Both are in good shape AFAIK. My wife will drive either; either will serve her needs equally well.
Which should I keep? Why? I am tempted to just put them both up for sale and keep whatever doesn't sell, but would like to be more rational than that.

Well, it's a close call. The Caravan may eat its tranny soon, but a '99 Exploder has likely revealed its true, POS nature after 7 years. If we're talking strictly on-road travel, no hauling or towing involved, that Ford has very little redeeming qualities, so I'd dump the Exploder like a bad habit.
Better still, sell both of them and buy your spouse a nice runabout that gets twice the mileage of either the GC or the Exploder...
/daytripper '05 Durango Hemi Ltd '00 S4 6spd

Sell them both and reinvest the capitol is something good but used. Coasty
"Coasty" <uscg_ret at comcast dot net> wrote in message

The plan was to give him back the one we don't sell next summer, and buy her a new small SUV.
Which one does your son want if you're going to give him one of them?
Wesley

her
Dump the Exploder and consider yourself lucky that it hasn't rolled over or spontaneously gone up in flames for no apparent reason. It was a POS when it rolled off the assembly line brand new.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 1576 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Do you ALWAYS ask strangers to make these kinds of decisions for you?
Grow a set, man! Which vehicle do YOU prefer? Which one has given YOU the least trouble in maintaining? Christ, act like a man and make your OWN decision!

No, but I frequently ask strangers for advice who might know more than I do.

I wonder if you are enough of a man to spew crap like this in person, or just on line?
another option: Sell both now (privately, don't trade in) and get her the smallish SUV now. Then when son comes home, buy him a used car that he'd like. I don't think he'd dig the minivan or Explorer (unless he's a camper/outdoorsy type of guy).
-

I like to answer interesting questions like these. If you don't, just move on. Please don't be rude.
-
Get rid of the one which has that filthy, four-letter F-word on the grill. This is a slam-dunk no-brainer.
Have you posed this question in alt.autos.ford?